Book a picnic site
Type of sites available for booking
Please note: Drinking is not permitted at sites with paid bookings. Alcohol consumption is permitted at only our free picnic table bookings.
Fire pit use at picnic sites is dependent upon local fire bans.
Book a free picnic table for alcohol consumption
Book a picnic site where alcohol can be consumed; fees waived during pilot.
Book a picnic site (no alcohol permitted)
Book a picnic site in a City park . These sites are not available for alcohol consumption.
Book a free fire pit (alcohol permitted at some sites)
Book a fire pit in a community park.
How to book a picnic site (no alcohol permitted)
A designated picnic site in City of Calgary parks can be reserved in advance and permits the exclusive use of the existing facilities that are at the chosen site. This may include one or more of the following in an assigned area:
- Picnic tables
- Fire pit
Reservation signage is posted (where possible) at the site to alert the public of times and dates that the designated sites will not be available for casual use.
Booking timelines for picnic sites
Picnic sites can be rented from the May long weekend until the Thanksgiving weekend in October.
|January 11, 2022||Picnic site public day.|
|May 20, 2022||Picnic sites open for the season.|
|October 10, 2022||Picnic sites closed for the season.|
Step 1. Review rental rates and policies
Review the information on the picnic sites policies page. Picnic sites are booked on a first-come, first-served basis. All picnic sites are booked in 6 hour time slots: from 8:45 am – 2:45 pm and 3:15 pm – 9:15 pm, with a 30 minute buffer in between. If you require a booking that includes these two time slots, both will be required to be booked for your event.
It is your responsibility to bring the issued permit with you to the site in case of conflict. A Facility Rental Permit holder, regardless of circumstances, will always have priority over a non-permit holder, for the specific date, time and location booked. By-Law can be contacted via 3-1-1 if you are encountering a particularly difficult situation.
- Picnic site bookings require 5 days notice to book a site.
- Picnic site rental rates are based on the number of people attending.
|Number of people||6 hour block (prices include GST)|
|1 - 25||$69.57|
|26 - 50||$120.81|
|51 - 100||$232.52|
|101 - 150||$391.59*|
|151 - 200||$552.23|
|201 - 250||$712.57|
|251 - 300||$873.23|
|301 - 400||$1,113.07|
|301 - 500||$1,433.96|
*minimum price for bookable sites with picnic shelters at Bowness Park during high season, beginning after the May long weekend through to the October long weekend.
All prices contain a $10.50 Administration Fee and a $4.75 Risk Management Fee.
Step 2. Find and book a picnic site
Full payment is required at the time of booking in order to reserve a picnic site
Things to know before booking a picnic site
- There is a difference between picnic functions and special event functions at picnic sites.
- Picnics: Sites can be reserved in advance and permit the use of the existing facilities that are at the chosen site. This may include one or more of the following: picnic tables, fire pit, barbeque, pavilion/shelter or power, in an assigned area. Function is strictly limited to picnic-type activities and does not require additional equipment to be brought on site, other than additional backyard propane-fuelled BBQs.
- Special events: These are events that have a greater impact on neighbouring communities than casual or intended park use. They will range in size, but generally involve the use of additional equipment (i.e. tents, inflatables, large solid fuelled BBQs, vehicle access, etc). Please check the Before booking a park, pathway or greenspace page to determine the booking process for your event.
- Dogs are allowed in the park if they are on a leash, or in off-leash areas (min. $250 fine for failing to clean up adfter your pet).
- Bowness Park cannot be booked on long weekends due to the high volume of citizens using the Park.
- Firewood is not included as an amenity. Please plan to provide your own.
- Barbeques at designated picnic sites are free-standing metal containers for burning firewood or charcoal briquettes. You will need something to light the fire. It is recommended that you bring tin foil if you plan to cook on top of the barbeque, or roasting sticks for cooking inside the barbeque or over a fire pit. You can bring your own camp-style or larger backyard barbeque into the park, provided it is propane-fuelled and does not use charcoal. We ask that you be considerate and place backyard barbeques away from grassy areas, on cement or dirt if at all possible.
- Washroom facilities are available from the May long weekend until Thanksgiving and are locked in the winter. Washrooms are typically open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. during summer months. Washrooms are accessible, with assistance. We strongly recommend you visit to the site to ensure it is suitable for your group’s use.
- Parking is available on a first come, first served basis, and is not included or guaranteed with a picnic site permit. Parking at Bowness Park is limited and may not be available.
- Alcohol is strictly prohibited in any public use area. Park sites are monitored by City of Calgary Parks Staff and/or By-Law Enforcement Officers.
- Signage or banners cannot be attached to trees, shrubs or other park furniture. Amplified/acoustic noise must align with current Noise Bylaw (311). Please respect plants, trees and wildlife. Balloons are not permitted.
- Sporting activities such as baseball, soccer or volleyball are not permitted in parks without special event approval. You cannot stake anything into the ground (nets, tents, etc), tie anything to trees or drive a vehicle on park turf without special event approval.
- Playgrounds are not included as part of any picnic site rental, and must be kept open for all park users to enjoy.
- You are not permitted to bring a commercial or industrial-sized solid-fuelled barbeque without obtaining a special event permit.
- Vehicles are not permitted to be driven into a park without special event approval.
In order to cancel a picnic site booking, or to make changes to the date, time or location, the renter must notify the Recreation Facility Bookings office a minimum of 30 business days prior to the rental. A $10.00 administration fee plus applicable GST will apply for cancellations or changes that result in freeing up a bookable space. Within seven business days of the booking, it is non-refundable.
Inclement weather refunds will be given in the event of significant precipitation (heavy rain, hail, sleet and snow). It is the permit holder’s responsibility to contact the Bookings office to arrange a refund. Refunds will be granted on a case-by-case basis depending on historical data supplied by Environment Canada. Refunds will not be granted in the event of cold weather or strong winds.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Facility Bookings.