Calgary's 2026's Draft Hosting Plan Concept
Calgary 2026’s draft hosting plan proposed five ways to protect the environment, if Calgary hosted the Games:
Potential benefits and risks of hosting the Games
- Smart venue concept: Put existing and new venues in four main areas to help reduce travel times, costs and the effect of vehicles on the environment.
- Zero waste: A zero-waste goal that aims to send as little waste as possible to our landfills.
- Local resources: Using local services, goods, equipment and materials, which also helps reduce travel distances
- Fit with City policies (Environmental policy), strategies and plans, including The City’s Carbon Management and Climate Resilience strategies and protecting the environment for the long term.
- Hosting an event of this size will have some impacts on the environment
- The draft hosting plan does not remove all the effects on the environment, but aims to reduce them
- Living up to the environmental goals in the draft hosting plan may be difficult