W e are committed to:
the city of calgary
- Increasing our downtown’s vibrancy
- Encouraging private investment in our core
- Supporting investments that improve people's experiences in our downtown
This page is a glimpse of the work we are doing to improve Calgary's downtown. To see what else we are working on visit:
Calgary's Downtown website
Here's what we've been up to
What's been done?
- Identified major capital priority projects that will bring new life and vibrancy to our city; create jobs and boost the economy; and help bring our downtown back to being a diverse hub of entertainment for Calgarians and visitors alike. Projects include:
- Made underpass improvements, including:
- Improving 1 Street SE and Macleod Trail walking surfaces.
- Adding new lighting, railing and new murals. This increases the vibrancy of walkways and improves commuter safety.
- Approved the launch of electric scooters in July 2019, providing an alternate mode of transportion for downtown dwellers and visitors.
- Redeveloped a former lawn bowling site into Thomson Family Park in the Beltline. This site offers fun activities for kids and their families year-round.
- Worked with partners to improve wireless services for businesses and those working, living and visiting downtown Calgary.
What's in the works?
- Redesigning Stephen Avenue in partnership with the Downtown Calgary Association.
- Improving the Eau Claire living experience and flood mitigation.
- Upgrading the 17th Ave streetscape and sidewalks.
- Improving the 5 Street S.W. underpass.
- Helping fill downtown office space by:
- Re-purposing vacant spaces
- Supporting catalytic projects for economic growth, diversification, and increased employment through the Opportunity Calgary Investment Fund
- Encouraging festivals and events to take place in the downtown core