17 Ave. S.W. construction
Project update - May 25, 2023
Sidewalk repairs and streetscape improvements have begun as of May 17, 2023.
Crews will be working on the south side of 17 Avenue S.W., starting in the area of 2 to 4 Street S.W. This area of work is scheduled to be complete the first week of June.
Starting the week of May 29 until the end of June, work will continue on from 5 Street to 8 Street S.W.
Two-way vehicle traffic and pedestrian access to all businesses will be maintained at all times.
Watch the informational video below for details on construction plans and timelines.
Sanitary service repairs - Water Services
The City’s Water Services will be completing required repairs to a sanitary sewer line near 315 17 Avenue S.W.
To accommodate this work, a full road closure will be in place on 17 Avenue from 2 Street to 4 Street S.W. as follows:
- Thursday, June 8, 2023 at 9 a.m., straight through until Sunday, June 11 at 7 p.m.
To accommodate detour routes, there will be no parking allowed on the north side of both 15 Avenue and 18 Avenue S.W.
Pedestrian access will remain open on the north sidewalk of 17 Avenue S.W. and via a temporary path on the south side of the avenue. Water and sanitary services will not be impacted.
Sidewalk repairs and streetscape improvements: 2023 & 2024
The City will be undertaking sidewalk and streetscape improvements along 17 Avenue S.W., from 2 to 14 Street S.W. Work is expected to begin in late April 2023 and will include:
- Sidewalk rehabilitation from 2 Street to 14 Street S.W.
- Toplift paving from 2 Street to 8 Street S.W.
- Rehabilitation of concrete tree boxes from 2 Street to 14 Street S.W.
- General streetscape improvements from 2 Street to 14 Street S.W.
This work will be phased over two years (2023 & 2024) to limit impacts to drivers, pedestrians and businesses. Construction will be completed in sections along the south side of the avenue in 2023, before moving to the north side in 2024.
The City is investing in the future of 17 Avenue between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W. We're upgrading the utilities, rebuilding the road and improving the area for pedestrians so 17 Avenue can continue to be a vibrant, great space for everyone to enjoy.
Key areas of focus are:
- Rebuilding the road, including a new road design that's safer and more predictable, based on an In-Service Road Safety Review
- Improving crosswalks and intersections for those on foot, including curb extensions on side streets
- Upgrading water and sanitary utilities for current and future development
- Improving sidewalks- new sidewalks and repairs, burying utility lines, LED lighting, sitting areas and new trees
- Upgrading telecommunications, power and gas utilities
- Widening sidewalks and improving the public realm streetscape areas
All major road and utility reconstruction was completed in 2019, with most sections of top-lift paving completed in 2021 & 2022. Remaining sidewalk and streetscape improvements, as well as final areas of toplift paving are scheduled to begin in spring 2023.
Plan view of 17 Avenue S., between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W.
14/15 Avenue one-ways
The one-way detours along 14 and 15 Avenues will remain in their current configuration while The City conducts public engagement and traffic analysis to understand which design is best for the community.
View 14 & 15 Avenue Mobility Improvements for more information.
Past information sessions
Since spring 2015, we've been talking with people who live, work and travel in the area about paving the way for a better 17 Avenue S. You may not have been part of the conversation since the beginning, but feel free to familiarize yourself with how the project has evolved over the past few years.
Check out the information that we've displayed and discussed at previous open houses and information sessions.
March 16 and 18, 2023
The information sessions on March 16 and 18, 2023 provided information related to sidewalk and streetscape improvement work, the Humpy Hollow Park Redevelopment project and Calgary Transit service enhancements.
June 7, 2018
The information session on June 7, 2018 provided an update on the project and the 2018 construction season.
April 4 and April 7, 2018
Two information sessions were held on April 4 and 7, 2018 to provide an update on the project and the 2018 construction season. The information display boards from the presentations are here:
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-1
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-2
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-3
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-4
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-5
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-6
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map B-1
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map B-2
- Road & utility reconstruction:
Spring 2017 - Winter 2019 – COMPLETE
- Road top lift paving:
- Macleod Trail to 2 Street
Fall 2021 – COMPLETE
- 8 to 14 Street
Fall 2022 – COMPLETE
- Macleod Trail to 2 Street
- Completion of sidewalk construction:
Spring 2023 – fall 2024
- Completion of top lift paving (2 to 8 Street):
Please note: Construction activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines could change due to inclement weather and/or other unexpected circumstances. Schedule updates will be provided regularly.
Business Improvement Areas and Community Associations
If you live in the area and have questions about your community, please contact one of the following community associations: