Blackfoot Trail over 9 Avenue S.E. Bridge Rehabilitation
About the project
The Blackfoot Trail over 9th Avenue S.E. bridge is a 4-lane structure with two southbound and two northbound lanes. This bridge has been identified for a major rehabilitation to address deterioration. This rehabilitation is expected to improve conditions for motorists and those walking and wheeling along 9 Avenue S.E.
To facilitate the inspection of the upper south retaining wall, the “Corridors” artwork was removed in the fall of 2023.
The project benefits include:
- improving the condition of the bridge and extending its service life by approximately 30 years
- improving overall mobility for pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists
- replacing the expansion joint to help prevent further deterioration
- improving the connection along 9 Avenue S.E. (under Blackfoot Trail) that services nearby facilities (i.e. YWCA, BRT Purple, the local school, and the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary)
- improving one critical link in the transportation network to accommodate opportunities for Calgary's continued growth in the coming years
Frequently asked questions
Ongoing regular maintenance along with timely major rehabilitations are critical to keeping bridges safe and reliable while minimizing future expenditures and extending the service life of this type of structure. The project should greatly improve one critical link in the transportation network and accommodate opportunities for Calgary's continued growth in the coming decades. Rehabilitation of bridges also supports good movement and universal access.
While the rehabilitation design work is yet to be complete, the scope of work will include:
- general concrete repairs
- replacement of the expansion joints
- replacement of concrete traffic barrier
- bridge deck repairs and pavement replacement
- sidewalk and railing replacement along 9th Ave S.E.
- retaining wall and girder repairs under the bridge
- Detailed design: 2024
- Tender to market: 2024
- Construction start: Spring 2024 or 2025
- Substantial completion: To be determined
Construction activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines may change due to inclement weather, complexity, supply chain, and/or other unexpected circumstances.
Sign up to receive email updates about this project.