Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 3 outdoor water restrictions are in effect. Learn more about how City services are impacted and what you can do during this stage.

Learn more

A street use permit is required to exclusively use any City road right-of-way, that is, a street, a sidewalk, an alley, a walkway, a back lane, or a boulevard, that may or may not require traffic control set-up.

Street use permits are obtained for a variety of reasons, such as:

  • Placement of materials (landscaping)
  • Rehab of streets, sidewalks, signals, etc.
  • Construction work: underground or above ground
  • Any impacts to existing roadway networks
  • Loading or unloading materials and equipment
  • To enforce temporary no parking (additional Temporary No Parking permit is required)
  • Placement of a garbage bin or a moving container
  • Parking for buses
  • Restricting the use of a city road right-of-way for construction activities (examples, a lane, a sidewalk, an alley or a road closure)
  • Reserving space for filming or moving

Permits are issued at the discretion of the Traffic Engineer, as per  Streets Bylaw 20M88.

Temporary Traffic Control Plans

All Temporary Traffic Control Plans will be reviewed and approved by Mobility, Traffic.

If the Temporary Traffic Control Plan meets the requirements for authentication in the Temporary Traffic Control Plan Requirement Flow Chart, then the Temporary Traffic Control Plan must be authenticated by a Professional Engineer as per APEGA Authenticating standards.

View the Temporary Traffic Control Manual (updated March 25, 2021)

See the Temporary Traffic Control Plan Requirement Flow Chart (updated December 13, 2023)

All Temporary Traffic Control plans submitted to the City must meet the following criteria. If any of the criteria listed is not met, the plan will be declined:

  • Plans must be drafted using professional software, be clear and easy to interpret. Plans must be submitted in PDF format and no other format is accepted. 
  • Street Names for roadways of interest
  • 24 Hours Site Contact (Name/Contact Number that is reachable during and outside regular work hours)
  • Scale
  • Dates/Times (Start and End dates for both the Setup and Takedown/knockdown are required)
  • North Arrow
  • Road Markings
  • Legend (Identify CPS or Flaggers if required)
  • Company Name/Logo
  • If authentication is required, the plan needs to either digitally signed using an APEGA approved software (e.g., Notarius ConsignO) with a recognized digital stamp and permit to practice (as applicable) or stamped on paper and clearly scanned. Note that APEGA requires the signature also includes date the document is stamped and APEGA ID. For more information, please refer to APEGA’s Authenticating Professional Work Products Professional Practice Standard.

Note: Temporary Traffic Accommodation Process Changes
In 2024 The City will no longer provide physical detour setups, all projects should utilize third-party providers for authenticated detour plans and setups.

Temporary no parking permit

A temporary no parking permit is required to restrict parking on a curb lane for personal use, construction, or moving equipment within a Calgary road right-of-way. The permit holder is responsible for obtaining signage from an authorized third party, signage must be set up 12 hours in advance.

Temporary no parking permits are only issued in conjunction with street use permits. Please apply for both permits at the same time.

How to apply

Once you register for a myID, you will be able to log into ePermits to apply. If you need help or additional explanation when using the ePermits website, please see the ePermit frequently asked questions.

Note: If you also require a Temporary No Parking permit (no additional cost), please apply for this when you apply for your street use permit.

Permit costs

Street Use permit:

$28.50 + GST per day or $7235.80 + GST per year (annual permit), plus:

  • Parking fees: When applying for a street use permit in areas containing Park Plus zones, additional costs are calculated based on a daily rate per metre usage fee. Please refer to the 2024 Park Plus Parking Meter rates map for more details.
  • Street Use Permits may be subject to a planning and coordination fee.​
  • $114.45/per additional vehicle (over 10) for Annual Street Use Permit.

Temporary no parking permit:

  • There is no fee for a temporary no parking permit with the exception of ParkPlus Zones.
  • The permit holder is responsible for obtaining signage and/or set-up from an authorized third party at their own cost.

24 hours a day, seven days a week using your City of Calgary myID


$28.50 + GST for each calendar day, or
$7235.80 + GST per year (annual permit).

Additional fees may apply, including:

  • Parking fees
  • Cost for additional vehicle (over 10) for Annual Street Use Permit 

No fee for a Temporary No Parking permit. all costs are included in the Street use permit, please apply for both permits at the same time.


For detours that are short-term and low-impact, that are active for 3 days or less, it will take a minimum of five (5) business days to process (excludes weekends and statutory holidays)

For example, an application for a Temporary Traffic Control request or Permit request for Saturday/Sunday/Monday must be submitted by the previous Friday at noon.

For detours that are short term and low impact, that are active for 3 to 14 days a  minimum of ten (10) business days is required to process (excludes weekends and statutory holidays)

For detours active longer than 14 days, or that are high impact and incur pedestrian network impacts, cycling network impacts (including cycle tracks, bike lanes and pathways), signal operation impacts, transit network impacts, left bay/left lane closures, loading zone closures or require community/business/citizen engagement, a minimum of fifteen (15) business days are required to process (excludes weekends and statutory holidays). 

Related information

Temporary Traffic Accommodation Process Changes

Mobility Operations – Detours recently underwent an operational shift and has implemented a significant process change for the 2024 calendar year. Existing, long-term projects are part of the transition process and will receive support from Mobility Operations – Detours Engineering.

What’s different?

  • Mobility Operations (TFO) will no longer provide physical detour setups for projects for the time being.
  • All projects should utilize third-party providers/vendors for authenticated detour plans and setups going forward.

What’s the same?

Detours Engineering will continue to:

  • Review and approve Street Use, Hoarding, and other right-of-way permits.
  • Work with project managers and contractors to provide input on traffic accommodation proposals.
  • Support emergencies, special events (parades, marathons, and games), film production, and any City maintenance activities.