Street use permit
A street use permit is required to exclusively use any City road right-of-way, that is, a street, a sidewalk, an alley, a walkway, a back lane, or a boulevard, that may or may not require traffic control set-up.
Street use permits are obtained for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Placement of materials (landscaping),
- Loading or unloading materials and equipment,
- To enforce temporary no parking (additional Temporary No Parking permit is required),
- Placement of a garbage bin or a moving container,
- Parking for buses,
- Restricting the use of a city road right-of-way for construction activities (examples, a lane, a sidewalk, an alley or a road closure), or
- Reserving space for filming or moving.
Permits are issued at the discretion of the Traffic Engineer, as per Streets Bylaw 20M88.
Temporary Traffic Control Plans
All Temporary Traffic Control Plans will be reviewed and approved by Roads, Traffic.
If the Temporary Traffic Control Plan meets the requirements for authentication in the Temporary Traffic Control Plan Requirement Flow Chart, then the Temporary Traffic Control Plan must be authenticated by a Professional Engineer as per APEGA Authenticating standards.
View the Temporary Traffic Control Manual (updated March 25, 2021)
See the Temporary Traffic Control Plan Requirement Flow Chart (updated March 25, 2021)
All Temporary Traffic Control plans submitted to the City must meet the following criteria. If any of the criteria listed is not met, the plan will be declined:
- Plans must be drafted using professional software, be clear and easy to interpret. Plans must be submitted in PDF format and no other format is accepted.
- Street Names for roadways of interest
- 24 Hours Site Contact (Name/Contact Number that is reachable during and outside regular work hours)
- Dates/Times (Start and End dates for both the Setup and Takedown/knockdown are required)
- North Arrow
- Road Markings
- Legend (Identify CPS or Flaggers if required)
- Company Name/Logo
- If authentication is required, the plan needs to either digitally signed using an APEGA approved software (e.g., Notarius ConsignO) with a recognized digital stamp and permit to practice (as applicable) or stamped on paper and clearly scanned. Note that APEGA requires the signature also includes date the document is stamped and APEGA ID. For more information, please refer to APEGA’s Authenticating Professional Work Products Professional Practice Standard.
Temporary no parking permit
A temporary no parking permit is required to restrict parking on a curb lane for personal use, construction, or moving equipment within a Calgary road right-of-way. The permit holder is responsible for obtaining signage from an authorized third party, signage must be set up 12 hours in advance.
Temporary no parking permits are only issued in conjunction with street use permits. Please apply for both permits at the same time.
How to apply
Once you register for a myID, you will be able to log into ePermits to apply. If you need help or additional explanation when using the ePermits website, please see the ePermit frequently asked questions.
Note: If you also require a Temporary No Parking permit (no additional cost), please apply for this when you apply for your street use permit.
Street Use permit:
$25.60 + GST per day or $6954.80 + GST per year (annual permit), plus:
- Traffic control setup fees: minimum of $400, additional costs depending on the complexity of the setup.
- Parking fees: When applying for a street use permit in areas containing Park Plus zones, additional costs are calculated based on a daily rate per metre usage fee. Please refer to the 2022 Park Plus Parking Meter rates map for more details.
- Street Use Permits may be subject to a planning and coordination fee.
- $110/per additional vehicle (over 10) for Annual Street Use Permit.
Temporary no parking permit:
- There is no fee for a temporary no parking permit with the exception of ParkPlus Zones.
- The permit holder is responsible for obtaining signage and/or set-up from an authorized third party at their own cost.
24 hours a day, seven days a week using your City of Calgary myID
$25.60 + GST for each calendar day, or
$6954.80 + GST per year (annual permit).
Additional fees may apply, including:
- Traffic control set-up fees (Min. $400)
- Parking fees
- Cost for additional vehicle (over 10) for Annual Street Use Permit
No fee for a Temporary No Parking permit. all costs are included in the Street use permit, please apply for both permits at the same time.
Minimum of five business days to process (excludes weekends and statutory holidays).
For example, an application for a Temporary Traffic Control request or Permit request for Saturday/Sunday/Monday must be submitted by the previous Monday at noon.