17 Ave. S.W. construction
Project update - September 2021
Top lift paving from Macleod Trail to 2 Street S.W. was successfully completed on Sunday, August 30. With this work complete, this area of 17 Avenue S.W. is now fully restored.
Remaining top lift paving and sidewalk work deferred to 2022
In order to give businesses and residents in the area some reprieve after three years of construction activity during 2017, 2018, and 2019, The City has deferred remaining areas of top lift paving (west of 2 Street S.W.) until spring 2022 and sidewalk reconstruction (about two-thirds from 2 St. to 14 St. S.W.) until fall 2022, To limit impacts, this work will be phased over several months, and is expected to be complete by spring 2023.
We're investing in 17 Ave., now and for the future. Rebuilding the 30 year old road and the upgrading the 100 year old utilities now will make sure the area can continue to grow for years to come.
Key areas of focus are:
- Rebuilding the road, including a new road design that's safer and more predictable, based on an In-Service Road Safety Review
- Improving crosswalks and intersections for those on foot, including curb extensions on side streets
- Upgrading water and sanitary utilities for current and future development
- Improving sidewalks- new sidewalks and repairs, burying utility lines, LED lighting, sitting areas and new trees
- Upgrading telecommunications, power and gas utilities
- Widening sidewalks and improving the public realm streetscape areas
Paving the way for a better 17 Avenue S.
The City is investing in the future of 17 Avenue between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W. We're upgrading the utilities, rebuilding the road and improving the area for pedestrians so 17 Avenue can continue to be a vibrant, great space for everyone to enjoy.
17 Ave SW - Vision
Plan view of 17 Avenue S., between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W.
14/15 Avenue one-ways
The one-way detours along 14 and 15 Avenues will remain in their current configuration while The City conducts public engagement and traffic analysis to understand which design is best for the community.
View 14 & 15 Avenue Mobility Improvements for more information.
Since spring 2015, we've been talking with people who live, work and travel in the area about paving the way for a better 17 Avenue S. You may not have been part of the conversation since the beginning, but feel free to familiarize yourself with how the project has evolved over the past few years.
Check out the information that we've displayed and discussed at previous open houses and information sessions.
June 7, 2018
The information session on June 7 provided an update on the project and the 2018 construction season.
April 4 and April 7, 2018
Two information sessions were held on April 4 and 7 to provide an update on the project and the 2018 construction season. The information display boards from the presentations are here:
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-1
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-2
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-3
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-4
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-5
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map A-6
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map B-1
- 17th Ave S.W. Open house board - Map B-2
Frequently asked questions
Sidewalk work, including related streetscape improvements, is being reevaluated and rescheduled to minimize the impact to people walking in the area and access to businesses.
- Road & utility reconstruction:
Spring 2017 - Winter 2019 COMPLETE
- Road top lift paving:
- Completion of sidewalk construction:
August 2022 through 2023
Please note: Construction activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines could change due to inclement weather and/or other unexpected circumstances. Schedule updates will be provided regularly.