Green Cart compost giveaway
If you're a Calgary resident looking to save on soil amendments and fertilizers this spring, the City has you covered. The complimentary compost available to residents can be used in yards and gardens and is produced from food and yard waste collected through the Green Cart program.
Compost is available for pick up from April 24 to June 10, by online appointment only, at Shepard (South) and Spyhill (North) landfills.
- Appointments will be released in time slots starting April 10 on this page. Check back on April 10, May 8 and May 23 to find newly released appointments, plus available time slots due to cancellations.
- To ensure there is a fair opportunity for all citizens to pick up compost, households may only pick up compost once during the 2023 Compost Giveaway. Remember to mix your compost with soil.
Check out tips on how to use compost.
How does the appointment bookings work?
- Select which location you will be picking up your compost.
- Select a date and time to pick up compost – appointments are booked in 15-minute slots.
- Save your confirmation email, on your smartphone or printed, as you will be asked to show it to the site attendant when you check in.
- Please arrive on time for your appointment.
If you receive an error message when booking, please refresh the page and try again.
Pick up dates & times
|Monday, April 24 to Saturday, June 10||8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Monday to Saturday.|
To avoid line ups from high landfill traffic volumes on the weekends, consider booking your compost pick up on a weekday.
Compost pick up appointments will be released in the following time slots:
|Booking dates||Appointment Dates|
|April 10||April 24 - May 13|
|May 8||May 15 - 27|
|May 23||May 29 - June 10|
How do I know my appointment is booked?
|Received email confirmation||Comment|
|After you've booked your appointment through our online booking tool, you should receive a confirmation email within a few minutes. This email will confirm that your appointment has been successfully booked and provide you with all the important details you need to know.|
|If you do not receive a confirmation email, it's possible that your appointment was not successfully booked.|
|In this case, we encourage you to try booking again or contact 311 for assistance.|
Please note that your appointment is only considered booked once you receive a confirmation email. Double-check your email inbox and spam folder to ensure you don't miss the appointment confirmation.
How can I cancel an appointment booking?
If you are unable to make your scheduled appointment time, you can cancel your appointment through your confirmation email and rebook a timeslot at a later date.
|Site||Address||Drop off conditions|
Spyhill Compost Giveaway Site (north location)
|11808 - 69 Street NW||
Shepard Compost Giveaway Site (south location)
|12111 - 68 Street SE||
How the compost giveaway works
This is a self-serve event – you must bring the following with you:
- Containers to hold compost (for example: buckets, tubs, etc.)
- Tarps - if you are loading compost into a trunk or truck bed, your load must be secure and covered before leaving the event
How much compost can I take?
You can take up to 100 litres of compost per household. The compost must be shoveled into your containers or vehicle (no mechanical equipment is allowed).
You can use a standard residential vehicle like a car or truck. No trailers or commercial vehicles are allowed.
Five 20 litre (five gallon) buckets filled with compost (approximate size 12" x 15")
Two 50 litre plastic tubs filled with compost (approximate size is 24" x 16" x 12")
Remember to bring tarps to line your vehicle and to cover open loads before leaving the facility
Frequently asked questions
Appointments are booked in 15-minute intervals, so please arrive on time for your appointment. For faster service, we suggest booking your compost pick up appointment on a weekday. We appreciate your patience during the pick up process.
If you bring garbage with you to the landfill, you will be charged the basic garbage (sanitary) rate for this material.
- Spyhill Landfill (north location) – Arrive early and proceed to the scalehouse to dispose of other waste first. You will be asked to scale in and out. Then you will be directed to the compost giveaway to pick up your compost during your appointment time.
- Shepard Landfill (south location) – Arrive early and proceed to the scalehouse to dispose of other waste first. You will be asked to scale in and out. Then you will be redirected to the scalehouse for the compost giveaway to pick up your compost during your appointment time.
You can drop off spring yard waste for free from Friday, April 14 to Sunday, May 28 at City of Calgary landfills. Outside of these dates, the yard waste rate will apply – see Landfill Rates.
You can only pick up compost on the date and time that you have booked.
Free mulch is available at the East Calgary landfill. There is no charge, but quantities may be limited. You are responsible for loading mulch into your own vehicle. The mulch can be used around evergreens, for yard and garden use, and is helpful for water retention and weed control.
The compost giveaway is an outdoor event and will take place rain, snow or shine. Safety is a top priority so if conditions change, event staff will monitor and respond accordingly. If you can’t make your appointment, please cancel it to make it available to someone else. There is a link to cancel in your confirmation email.
How to use your compost
A little compost goes a long way. Please note: while compost may look like dirt or soil, it is neither. Compost must be used in conjunction with soil and cannot be used as a replacement for soil.
Compost is a soil amendment that can improve the health of lawns, flower beds and gardens. Consult your garden centre, nursery or horticultural expert to determine how to best mix this compost for your specific application. Check out these tips on how to best use the compost in your yard.
|Enhance soil structure|
|Increase soil nutrient content|
|Improve moisture retention|
|Foster plant health|
|Soil amendment - mix the compost into your soil|
|Top dressing or mulch - spread compost on top of your soil|
Is the compost safe to use?
The compost is completely safe to use. The City's indoor composting process maintains temperatures high enough to break down material and kill any pathogens.
The compost is tested and is CQA Certified Category A compost which means it is safe to use in any application.
The compost is 100% natural and made up of the food scraps, leaves, branches, and yard waste Calgarians have been putting in the Green Cart composting program. The compost may contain food allergens, and adverse reactions may occur in sensitive persons. To reduce risk, wear a dust mask and protective gloves. If skin contact occurs, wash with soap and water. If an allergic reaction occurs, seek medical attention.