Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 3 outdoor water restrictions are in effect. Learn more about how City services are impacted and what you can do during this stage.

Learn more

Learn more about what service valves do, what responsibilities The City of Calgary and citizens have for service valves and water lines, where to report a service valve issue or what do to with a service valve when pouring a driveway.

What are service valves?

Service valves control the water running to a home or building from The City of Calgary water main.

Service valves are usually located outside the residence, either in the front, back or side of the property (for example: lawn, driveway, or private sidewalk) and occasionally they are located just outside the fence line in the back alley.

If you are experiencing any of the following issues, please complete an online service request below or call 311 to have City crews investigate and complete repairs at no cost.

  • Service valve needs to be raised or lowered**
  • Cap/top box missing
  • Damaged valve
  • Leaking valve
Service Valve Examples

Examples of water service valves

​**As the ground shifts due to freezes and thaws, the service valve may need to be raised or lowered - sometimes more than once a year due to seasonal changes. 

Service valves and responsibility of underground water lines

Service valves are owned and operated by The City of Calgary, however any water lines which go from the service valve to the home or building are the citizen's responsibility. Property owners are responsible for any repairs and upkeep required to the service line on their side of the property line. Learn more by visiting our Service Lines page.

Service valves and driveway pouring

If you are pouring a new driveway, please schedule your pouring date at least 30 days from the date you begin the process below:

  • Locate your service valve - contact 311 
  • Complete an online service request or call 311 to have the City of Calgary check the operation and condition of your service valve

Please note: Failure to follow this process could result in your new driveway being excavated to repair the service valve (if an adjustment is needed). Concrete repairs would be at your expense.

If you live in a recently-developed community, your contractor is responsible for the maintenance of the valves for two years after the acceptance date of the Construction Completion Certificate.

Service valves in your home - main shut-off valve

Internal main shut-off valves are located in homes where the water line enters your residence. The purpose of this valve is to allow you to shut water off in your home for a variety of reasons, including emergencies or when repairing leaks, taps or toilets.

The internal main shut-off valve is typically located close to the water tank (usually in the basement near the floor) or below the water meter on the water pipe that enters your house.

To have the internal valve repaired by a certified plumber, the water will need to be shut off by The City of Calgary at the outdoor service valve. To book a service call to have your main water service valve on the property line turned off or on, visit the Water Interruptions and Disconnections for special instructions and applicable fees.