Book a school gymnasium
Step 1 – Review rental rates and payment terms
Rental rates for gymnasiums vary depending on the size and type of gym, day of the week, what it's being used for and the facility caretaking status.
How do I know the caretaking status at a school?
- Schools indicated with 1C after the school names are considered Single Caretaking Facilities. These schools require a minimum of 2 hour bookings.
- Schools not indicating anything after the school name are considered Full Caretaking Facilities.
|Gymnasium / Cafeteria||Minors||Adults|
|Full Caretaking (small, medium & large gyms)||$31.71/hr||$49.25/hr|
|Non-Recreational (small, medium & large gyms)||$31.71/hr||$49.25/hr|
|Single-Facility Operator(1-C) all sizes (small, medium & large gyms)||$87.16/hr||$87.16/hr|
|Classrooms each set of 1-7|
|Full Caretaking||$44.12 /hr|
|Single-Facility Operator (1-C)||$87.16 /hr|
|Each set of 1-7 in conjunction with gym or cafeteria||$44.12 /hr|
|Speciality Non-Public Spaces: Library, Foyer, Teachers Lounge, etc.||$44.12 /hr (Full) or $87.16/hr (1-C)|
Weekend/stat holiday rates
|Recreational & Non-Recreational (small, medium & large gyms)||$104.29 /hr||$109.31 /hr|
|Cafeteria||$104.29 /hr||$109.31 /hr|
|Each set of 7 classrooms - if booked in conjunction with a gym/cafeteria||$105.37 /hr||$109.31 /hr|
|Each set of 7 classrooms - stand alone||$105.37 /hr||$109.31 /hr|
|Speciality Non-Public Spaces: Library, Foyer, Teachers Lounge, etc.||$105.37 /hr||$109.31 /hr|
Summer/Winter/Spring Break rates
|Day Camps||Minors Only|
Day Camps (Mon-Thurs, 8 am – 4 pm) School Board Approval Required
Day Camps (Fri-Sun) School Board Approval Required
Extra Fees - All Bookings
|Flat Rate (In addition to rental rates)||Minors Only|
Food & Beverage – Weeknight (per each space)
Food & Beverage 1C – Weeknight (per each space)
|Food & Beverage – Weekend/Stat (per each space)||$102.97|
|Over 200 Chair Setup – Weeknight||$79.37|
|Over 200 Chair Setup – Weekend/Stat||$79.37|
|Special Event Fee||$79.37|
|Direct OT Caretaking for Special Events||TBD by School Board|
Step 2 – Browse school gymnasium locations and availability
Check calgary.ca/liveandplay for gymnasium availability.
- Consider two or three potential dates and gym locations. You will need to identify your choices by the name of the school, date and time.
- Elementary gyms can be booked Monday - Friday from 6:15 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Junior High gyms can be booked Monday - Friday from 6:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
High School gyms can be booked Monday - Friday from 7:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Saturday & Sundays can be booked from 8:00 am - Midnight.
Step 3 - Review conditions and regulations
Step 4 - Check booking timelines
- Booking applications can only be processed and confirmed for the current booking session.
- For new request submissions, please allow for 30 days prior to the first booking, due to processing time.
- Submissions for Public Day must be submitted beginning at 8:30 a.m. If you submit an application prior to 8:30 a.m. on Public Day, your request will be moved in order of being received beginning at 9 a.m. This will result in a delay, while those who submitted between 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. are being processed.
|Booking Timelines 2022-2023||Details|
|June 8, 2022||Renewal permits for the Fall 2022 session will be emailed to qualifying groups|
|June 14, 2022||Deadline for groups to make cancellations to the Fall 2022 permits without incurring the $ 10.50 cancellation fee|
|June 16, 2022||Public Days for minor groups booking weeknights between the hours of 6:15 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. for Fall 2022|
|June 23, 2022||Public Day for all groups booking during the Fall 2022 session|
|July – August 2022||No bookings|
|Sept. 6, 2022||First day of school|
|October 19, 2022||Renewal permits for the Winter/Spring 2023 session will be emailed to qualifying groups|
|October 27, 2022||Deadline for groups to make cancellations to the Winter/Spring 2023 permits without incurring the $10.50 cancellation fee|
|November 3, 2022||Public Day for minor groups booking weeknights between the hours of 6:15 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. for Winter/Spring 2023|
|November 15, 2022||Public Day for all groups booking during the Winter/Spring 2023 session|
|November 22, 2022||Deadline to request applications/amendments for the Fall 2022 session. Payments & cancellation requests require 30 days’ notice|
|November 22, 2022||Deadline for applications/amendments for bookings that occur in January, 2023|
|December 22, 2022||Last day of bookings for the Fall 2022 session for all school boards|
|January 16, 2023||First day of bookings for the Winter/Spring 2023 session at all schools|
|May 23, 2023||Deadline to request applications/amendments for the Winter/Spring 2023 session. Payments & cancellation requests require 30 days’ notice.|
|June 23, 2023||Last day of rentals for the Winter/Spring 2023 session|
- To qualify for gymnasium renewal rights, you must have a booking of a minimum of 6 dates at one gymnasium, for the same time period on the same day of the week. (Example: at least 6 bookings at one school, Wednesday evenings from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.)
- If you delete dates from your renewal permit resulting in less than 6 bookings, you may lose your renewal rights.
- Renewal bookings are based on your organization’s previous booking of an individual school on a session-to-session basis (Fall renews to Fall, Winter/Spring renews to Winter/Spring).
- If your booking is considered a renewal, you will automatically receive a permit the following session. You will not have to apply for the space, a deadline will be provided to cancel the renewal permit without charge.
Step 5 – Submit an application
To request a Gymnasium rental complete the online gymnasium application form.
What is considered special request?
- Bringing in outside food or beverages.
- Using non-public equipment (i.e., badminton nets, soccer nets).
- Requesting times outside regular booking hours (i.e., school use nights, non-public hours, early start) examples?
- Requesting other school spaces (i.e., classrooms, gathering spaces)
- Specific gym setup/accommodations.
Special requests require these additional steps before submitting the online gymnasium application:
- Complete the Application/Approval for Use of School Facilities Form. Fill out only the sections on the form where you are requesting an approval.
- Call the school directly to setup an appointment to have the form approved and signed by the Principal.
- Once the Application/Approval for Use of School Facilities form has been signed, fill out the online application form. Attach a copy of the approved Application/Approval for use of School Facilities Form to the completed online application and submit to our office for processing.
- If you are adding an approval to an existing permit, please email a copy of the approved Application/Approval for use of School Facilities Form to email@example.com.
For questions contact Facility Bookings.
When you can mark each task completed, you’re ready to fill out the application form.
__ I've read and understand each of the terms and conditions for renting a school gymnasium:
- Gymnasium rental terms and conditions
- Gymnasium rules and regulations
- Personal information
- Payment options
- Change/cancellation process
__ I've selected a gymnasium and confirmed my preferred date and time is available.
__ I'm aware of the rental rates and when payment is due.
__ I'm applying on the correct date for a one-time rental.