Alert | Mandatory outdoor water restrictions in effect - critical water main break affecting city-wide usage

City-wide indoor and outdoor water restrictions are in place. A fire ban is in effect. The boil water advisory has been lifted.

More information

Bylaws related to noise | Bylaw FAQs by topic

The following is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about noise complaints.

Do you use decibel levels to measure noise from loud parties and other disturbances?

No, a decibel measure is not taken in this case. The intent of the Community Standard Bylaw is to allow people to enjoy themselves without causing a disturbance to their neighbours. A decibel reading is not effective in measuring the impact noise levels have on others.

What can I do to stop noise from a loud party?

If you want the noise to stop immediately or if you think the noise is caused by criminal activity, notify Calgary Police Services at 403-266-1234.

To request an investigation by Calgary Community Standards, call 3-1-1 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).

To aid us in responding faster, please be ready with the following information:

  • ​Your name and address.
  • A primary and alternate phone number.
  • The address and exact location of the property for which you wish to register a complaint.
  • A brief and concise description of the complaint.

This information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted - you must identify yourself to the 3-1-1 service representative.

What process does The City of Calgary follow to address noise complaints?

We handle noise complaints in a manner similar to other types of complaints.

  • ​​​​The information is assigned a file number and entered into the computer system.
  • A copy of the complaint and all supporting documentation is forwarded to a bylaw enforcement or peace officer in that area.
  • The assigned officer will visit the location of the infraction described in the complaint. Due to the high volume of complaints registered and limited City resources, it can take several days before an initial visit occurs.
  • Complaints are handled on a priority basis. Priority is given to those with a serious public safety implication.
  • If there appears to be a bylaw infraction, the procedure will depend upon the type of infraction.

How much can The City of Calgary fine a property owner for neglecting the complaint against them?

A peace officer will follow standard procedures for dealing with a noise complaint. The focus is on resolving the issue through education. If the property owner does not comply, they could be fined $250.

Do you enforce vehicle/stereo noise?

Vehicle/stereo noise on public property falls under the Traffic Bylaw 26M96. For matters requiring immediate assistance, please contact the Calgary Police Service. For ongoing vehicle noise concerns, please contact The City of Calgary by calling 3-1-1 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).

Vehicle/stereo noise on private property falls under the Community Standards Bylaw 5M2004. For more information, please call 3-1-1 (from within Calgary) - or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​