Bylaws related to panhandling
Panhandling is permitted within Calgary under the following restrictions:
- Panhandling is not allowed within 10 metres of the entrance to a bank, an automated teller machine, a transit stop or pedestrian walkway (pedestrian walkways include +15, or any below or above grade walkway, but not a sidewalk).
- Panhandling is not allowed between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- A panhandler cannot obstruct the passage of, walk next to or follow the person being solicited.
- A panhandler cannot solicit money from an occupant in a motor vehicle.
- A panhandler cannot continue to engage a person who has declined the solicitation.
Our Panhandling Bylaw regulates when, where, and how panhandling can take place. This is for the protection of the public and the panhandler.
This page is an overview of these regulations. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.
Report a bylaw infraction
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).