Where can I find a copy of the Temporary Signs on Highways Bylaw?

You can download an uncertified copy of the Temporary Signs on Highways Bylaw 29M97, or visit the City Clerk's Department for a certified copy.

Where are the prohibited streets for any temporary signs located?



Here is the current list of Prohibited Roads where the Traffic Engineer has banned the use of temporary signs. Please also refer to the map for additional guidance. Though this list is comprehensive, you can contact the office of the Traffic Engineer at communitySigns@calgary.ca if you have any questions.

When is a temporary sign illegal when placed on municipal property?

  • It is closer than 15 metres to any intersection.
  • It is within 20 metres of a sign which is posted by the same owner or depicts, advertises or promotes the same idea.
  • It is placed within a Playground Zone or School Zone.
  • It is closer than 30 metres to any intersection, City bus shelter, transit bench, bus zone, LRT station or LRT platform.
  • It is closer than 2 metres from the curb or edge of the road where there is no curb.
  • It is placed on any traffic island or the centre median.
  • It has a sign face larger than 0.6 square metre (approximately 2X3 feet).
  • Is higher than 0.92 metres (3 feet) when measured from grade to the highest part of the sign.
  • It obstructs any portion of any traffic control device or creates a potential traffic or pedestrian hazard.
  • It is attached to a street light pole, a traffic signal pole (with limited exceptions) or any decorative street light pole.
  • It does not have, on the face of the sign, the name, mailing address and phone number of the owner and the date the sign was set out.
  • It is displayed for longer than 14 days from the date on the sign or more than 24 hours after the date of any advertised event concludes, whichever is less.
  • It has a position, shape, colour, format or illumination which is similar to a Traffic Control Device.
  • It is attached to a sound attenuation wall.
  • It is lit, electrified or inflatable.
  • It is permanently affixed.
  • It is supported by string, rope or metal guide-wire.
  • It is on, attached to or within 2 metres of a fire hydrant.
  • It is attached on or within a Plus 15 bridge.
  • It is erected in any prohibited or restricted area.
  • It is placed over a street or on or within a pedestrian walkway or overpass.
  • It does not have on the face of the sign the name, mailing address and phone number of the owner and the date the sign was set out.

Why was my sign removed?

Temporary signs that are not in compliance with the Temporary Signs on Highways bylaw, including those placed on a prohibited roadway, are subject to removal. Please visit the signage page on calgary.ca for additional information on bylaws related to placement of temporary signage. 

What happens to the signs you remove?

Signs will either be disposed of or impounded as outlined below:

Type of sign Once removed they will be

Paper, Cardboard or Plastic/Coroplast

- usually placed with zipties or wire/wood stakes

Recycled and disposed of by City crews
Sandwich Boards, Free-standing Metal Framed Impounded and can be picked up by the owner (as outlined below)

Marquee (large metal or plastic framed)

- 4’x4’, 4’x’8’ size are typical

Impounded and can be picked up by the owner (as outlined below)

How do I know if my sign has been impounded and how do I get it back?

Sandwich boards, free standing metal framed signs and marquee signs that have been removed will be taken to the Bylaw Services Impound lot. For these types of signs, owners can call the Impound Custodian line directly at 403-312-0675 to:

  • Confirm that their sign has been impounded; and,
  • ·Set an appointment to retrieve their sign, obtain retrieval fee information and payment details, and for directions to the impound lot.