Information | Rezoning for Housing

Public hearing on April 22, 2024. Proposed rezoning will support more housing options in all communities.

Learn more

Land Agreements with The City

The Lease/License of Occupation Policy for Community Organizations, alongside the land agreements were updated by Council in February 2012.

Leases and licenses of occupation (LOCs) are the legal expression of the relationship between community associations with The City. The policies informing Lease/LOC agreements are reviewed by The City every 15 years.

Lease or License of Occupation?

Whether you have a lease or license of occupation is dependent on the type of land your organization occupies.

Agreement Templates

Business Processes

Please contact you Neighbourhood Partnership Coordinator for information on business processes such as:

  • Capital or lifecycle projects process
  • New Lease/License of Occupation process
  • Amending your Lease/License of Occupation boundary process

Here is a summary of requirements related to lease or license of occupation agreements:

Below is an excerpt from the MGA specific to lands occupied by Calgary’s community association partners.

Read more

Municipal Government Act

Use of reserve land, money
671(1) Subject to section 676(1), environmental reserve must be left in its natural state or be used as a public park.

(2) Municipal reserve, school reserve or municipal and school reserve may be used by a municipality or school board or by them jointly only for any or all of the following purposes:(a) a public park;
(b) a public recreation area;
(c) school board purposes;
(d) to separate areas of land that are used for different purposes.

(2.1) Community services reserve may be used by a municipality for any or all of the following purposes:
(a) a public library;
(b) a police station, a fire station or an ambulance services facility, or a combination of them;(c) a non-profit day care facility;
(d) a non-profit senior citizens facility;
(e) a non-profit special needs facility;
(f) a municipal facility providing service directly to the public;
(g) affordable housing.

(3) Despite that land is designated as municipal reserve, school reserve or municipal and school reserve, the municipality and one or more school boards may enter into any agreement they consider necessary with respect to a use referred to in subsection (2) or for any matter related to the use.

(4) Money provided in place of municipal reserve, school reserve or municipal and school reserve and the interest earned on that money (a) must be accounted for separately, and (b) may be used only for any or all of the purposes referred to in subsection (2).

(5) For the purposes of subsection (2)(c), “school board purposes” means those purposes as determined by the Minister of Education under subsection (6).

(6) The Minister of Education may, by order, determine school board purposes for the purposes of subsection (5).

(7) An order made under subsection (6) is exempt from the application of the Regulations Act.

The following link assists community association volunteers in determining the potential of developing a community association property, and what third-party business activities might be possible: