Apply for a noise exemption permit
What is a noise exemption permit?
A noise exemption permit is a temporary permit that allows for exemptions to the Community Standards Bylaw 5M2004, in relation to noise between the times of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. (Monday - Saturday) and 10 p.m. and 9 a.m. (Sundays and Statutory holidays).
When should I get a permit?
Any person or group planning an activity or event should apply for a noise exemption permit if it is expected to exceed the permitted noise/sound levels or if it will be occurring outside of the allowed time frames. This includes: movie production and outdoor filming, construction or landscaping activities, concrete pours, major public event or music festival. Please note private functions such as wedding receptions and backyard barbeques do not qualify for an exemption and will not be granted a permit.
Who can request a permit?
Any person or group can request a noise exemption permit.
How far in advance do I need to request a permit?
Requests for a noise exemption permit must be received at least seven (7) days prior to the start of the planned activity or event or we cannot guarantee the permit will be approved in time for the event.
What is the cost for a permit?
There is no fee to obtain a noise exemption permit.
How will I know my request has been approved?
If an application is approved, a permit will be sent electronically through email, or mailed back to the applicant. If it is denied, a discussion with the applicant will be held over the phone on the reasoning or a letter may be sent outlining the denial.
Can I get a permit for a major event?
If the application is for a major event with 5,000 or more people, you may be required to provide a public notice of the application in a manner directed by the City of Calgary (i.e. posting, media advertising or direct notice) before a decision is made.
Can a permit be revoked?
The City of Calgary can revoke a noise exemption permit if the applicant has not taken sufficient measures to minimize the noise, or if conditions stated within the permit have been violated.
Can I be fined if I have a permit?
Yes, applicants with a noise exemption permit are NOT exempt from fines if they are found guilty of an offense.
What information do I need before applying for a permit?
When applying for a permit, you are required to provide:
- The address of where the activity/event will take place.
- The start and end date and time of the activity or event.
- The type of activity or event.
- The Building Permit (if it is a construction activity).
- The source of the noise (loudspeakers, concrete machinery).
- Ways you will reduce the noise and stop any disturbance to the area residents.
- A contact name and phone number for the person requesting the permit. (If more information or clarification is required, then you will be contacted by a representative of the City of Calgary.)
- A Business or organization’s name and address for the group requesting the permit.
- A valid email address the permit can be sent to.
Search our bylaws
To find out more information about Calgary’s other bylaws you can search bylaws by topic.