Ready Squad is a youth focused emergency preparedness program. It teaches kids about which emergencies occur in Calgary and how to prepare for them. This type of training empowers kids to be more resilient and knowledgeable about what to do during an emergency or disaster.
Prevent the spread of COVID-19: Crafts and activities
We have developed activities to empower kids to become superhero’s in preventing the spread of COVID-19. These activities help kids learn about the importance of hand washing with some old school techniques like learning to make soap, what physical distancing is and what 2 metres looks like, as well as how to make a face covering. Our activities come with a plan, outlining how long each activity takes, step-by-step directions, and where to find more resources. Download one or download them all.
These activities are good for teachers, parents, summer camps, day cares and more!
Physical distancing activities
What does 2 metres of physical distancing look like? Learn about physical distancing with these fun activities.
Activity kit for educators
Activity kits for educators - Ready Squad is now offering classroom activity kits to help bring your emergency preparedness lessons to life!
Available in Calgary, free of charge for Grade 3-6 classrooms and community based groups with participants aged 7-12.
There are 2 kits available – Prevent the Spread COVID-19 Crafts and Activities kit, and Flood Preparedness kits. To find out more or request a kit please email the Ready Squad Team.
COVID-19 resources for families and children
- 211 Alberta: Mental health and other supports for Calgarians
- Alberta Health Services – Healthy Together: Guide to home and family life during COVID-19
- Government of Alberta – COVID-19 Information for Albertans: Information sheet on how COVID-19 affects children
- City of Calgary – COVID-19 – athome activities: Information and activities for children at home
- Public Health Agency of Canada: COVID-19 Resources for parents and children
- Centre for Disease Control and Prevention: COVID-19 Resources for parents and children
- World Health Organization – Healthy at Home: COVID-19 Resources for parenting
Join the Squad! Take the online training
The Ready Squad e-course is for kids aged 7 - 12. It's a fun and interactive way to teach kids how to prepare and withstand an emergency or disaster.
- Cost: Free
- Course duration approximately 20 minutes
- Compatible with desktop, smartphone, and tablet
- Successful participants will be able to print off a certificate
Questions for the Ready Squad?
These resources can be used in the classroom as part of the program or at home.
- The Calgary Emergency Management Agency and the Calgary Fire Department have information on personal and family preparedness, hazards and risks in Calgary, fire safety, information on business continuity, and preparation for those with special needs. Plain Language resources are also available online or by calling 311.
- Environment and Climate Change Canada is home to the Sky Watchers Program, an educational initiative that provides free teaching material on the subject of weather, including information, explanations, lesson plans, experiments, activities, and more. Additional information about weather and weather alerts can be found at weather.gov.ca.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in the United States has interactive tools available online for educators, parents and kids. Become a “Disaster Master” through online games and activities.
Social supports for families
Squad Action resources
Use the documents below to complete the Squad Actions found throughout the course. These documents can also be used by teachers to help with their lesson plans.