What’s new this year?
For this year’s Neighbour Day we want you to celebrate safely. Please continue to watch for updates as the health restrictions change and vaccines continue to roll out.
Ideas for your Neighbourhood event (following all COVID-19 protocols)
Hosting a virtual event via video chat or phone is the safest way to connect with your neighbours this year. Reach out to your neighbours to help plan your event details, such as:
- Invite a small group of nearby neighbours for a backyard or driveway get-together
- Set up a neighbourhood scavenger hunt
- Decorate your windows, fence or patio
- Go for a walk in small groups to explore your neighbourhood and local parks
- Organize a virtual meal or BBQ
- Organize a small community clean-up using our TLC Kits (available for pick-up at Ralph Klein Park and the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary while supplies last).
- Or make up your own way to celebrate your community spirit (in line with COVID restrictions)
Share your experience with us through social media by using #yycNeighbourDay.
Invite Mayor Nenshi or your councillor
Request an appearance by sending us:
- Date, time and virtual event link/location
- Estimated number of attendees
- Type of event
- Neighbourhood name
- Contact information
We will do our best to accommodate all invitations, but we cannot guarantee specific attendance at this time. You will receive a response to your invitation prior to the event.
Make a Neighbour Day pledge
Tell everyone three ways you’re planning to celebrate Neighbour Day. Don't forget to show the ways that you are helping support Calgary businesses by using #SupportLocalYYC. Post a picture of your Neighbour Day Pledge Card or write out your activities on any social media platform using #yycNeighbourDay.Download Neighbour Day Pledge Card
Decorate your home
Gather your family to decorate your yard, balcony, door or window in red and white using lights, balloons and crafts. Leave your decorations up for Canada Day to showcase your pride for our country. Resources for decorating:
- I heart Neighbour Day colouring sheet
- Calgary skyline colouring sheet
- Neighbour Day 2021 colouring sheet
- Make your own red paint
- Make inspirational stones
- Make dandelion art
Activities for Neighbour Day
Neighbour Day Scavenger Hunt
Participate in the scavenger hunt we created with Sunalta Community Association and the Federation of Calgary Communities.
Know your neighbours
Make sure you can find your neighbours’ names and contact information by filling in your Neighbour Card or writing it down.
Connection card contest
Print off and fill out a connection card (or make your own!), then drop it in a neighbour's mailbox. Who can make the most connections?
Play with your neighbours and mark off each activity you have done. The first one to get a straight line across wins!
Neighbourhood 'I spy' Game
See how many things you can “spy” in your neighbourhood with your neighbours.
Neighbourhood wind chime
Make a wind chime for a neighbour using natural items found in your neighbourhood.
Neighbourhood learning activities
Thoughtful activities to learn about being a good neighbour, caring for the well being of our neighbours and celebrating community spirit.