A fascia sign is attached to, or marked on a ​b​uilding’s exterior wall. It typically displays the name or logo of a business or building and does not project more than 0.4 metres from the building wall.​

When is a permit required?

Fascia signs do not require a development permit when:

  • fascia signs (Sign - Class B) are a permitted use in the land use district;
  • the sign area is not larger than 1.5 square metres; and
  • the sign meets all applicable rules

Additionally, a development permit is not required to:

  • maintain or repair a legally existing sign
  • change or reduce the copy area of a legally existing sign

In a case where a new fascia sign does not meet all applicable rules, a permit application may be considered with a relaxation to the rules. The process and fees are different in this case. Please view ‘How to apply’ to see the fees for an application with relaxations.

How to apply

Step 1: Review the checklist​ and sign rules.

Step 2: Prepare your application

  • Complete the checklist
  • Review your fees​
Planning Approval - Development Permit (prior to construction): Permit fee Advertising fee Development Completion Inspection Total
Planning Approval - Development Permit (prior to construction): ​Permitted use (no relaxations) ​$95 $95​
Planning Approval - Development Permit (prior to construction): Discretionary use or relaxations required $636 $30 $155 $821

See the Planning Applications fee schedule for a complete list of planning application fees.

Step 3: Apply

Apply online

To apply in person, complete the sign application​ and visit the Planning Services Centre with the documents from the checklist in step 1. 


The regulations and rules regarding signage are intended to balance the need for signage with safety and aesthetics. These rules apply to signs on private property and are found in their entirety in the Land Use Bylaw 1P2007.

Rules for all signs

  • The sign position, shape, colour, format or illumination cannot resemble a traffic sign, signal or any other traffic control device.
  • Lights cannot be like those associated with danger or used by emergency services.
  • Trees or shrubs must not be removed or damaged to install a sign, make a sign more visible, maintain a sign, or to change the copy.

Signs in a residential area cannot be directly illuminated from a light source on the sign itself; however, they can be illuminated indirectly, such as a by a light shining on the sign. The light must not encroach onto adjacent spaces.​

Rules for fascia signs

There is a designated area on a building where a fascia sign can be located. The regulations depend on the sign’s location on a building and the height of the building.

One and two storey buildings

  • ​​The designated area is anywhere between 2.4 metres above grade and the upper edge of the buildingfascia building
  • No part of a sign can project beyond the shaded area
  • The sign can cover a part of the window if it is 2.4 metres above grade
  • A sign may be permitted under 2.4 metres if:
    • It consists of individual letters, symbols, or logos that are directly attached to the building
    • Any portion of the sign below the designated area does not exceed 30 per cent of the wall area
    • The copy area is under 9.3 square metres

Buildings over two storeys

  • ​​The designated area is anywhere between 2.4 metres above grade and the bottom of the third storey.fascia building over 2 metres

  • A sign may be permitted above the second storey if:
    • It consists of individual letters, symbols, or logos directly attached to the building
    • There is only one sign per building face above the second storey
    • The sign area does not exceed 2.5 per cent of the total area formed by multiplying the clearance of the sign from grade by the width of the building (see image)

Primary building wall

  • No maximum sign area within the designated area
  • No restrictions on the number of signs
  • Can have multiple primary building walls

Secondary building wall

  • Secondary building walls are any walls that are not primary building walls
  • Maximum sign-able area is 30 per cent
  • May be illuminated
  • The sign must be indirectly illuminated if facing a park or adjacent property designated as residential

Development completion inspection

All discretionary signs and signs that require a relaxation of the Land Use Bylaw will need a development completion inspection to ensure the sign was installed in the correct location, and meets conditions of approval.

Development completion inspections can be booked through the Planning Services Centre.

We do regular research with businesses to better understand the outlook and viewpoint of the business community. If you are a business owner, leader or manager, join our online business research panel, Business Perspectives.

Contact us

Planning Services Centre

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Live chat: 
Web: Planning Services Centre

Development approvals review team

Find development approvals review team staff to contact about specific applications.

This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically. ​