Fitness Alberta Certification courses
Benefits of taking our courses
Spring & summer registration dates
Registration for spring & summer programs, classes and day camps:
- Feb. 22 - Summer day camp schedule preview
- March 5 - Summer day camp registration
- March 7 - Program and class schedule preview
- March 12 - Program and class registration
- March 14 - Certification registration
Ensure your Live and Play account is ready on registration day by logging in and verifying your information is up to date. Get ready to register.
Registration will open:
- 6 a.m. — Online (virtual waiting room opens at 5:30 a.m.).
- 8:30 a.m. — By calling the Customer Service Centre at 403-268-3800 (option 1).
- During business hours — At any City-operated Aquatic & Recreation or Arts facility.
Types of Fitness Alberta® certification courses
You can register online, in person at our Recreation facilities, or by calling
Fitness Alberta® - Group Choreography Specialty Course
Take this course to become a certified Group Fitness Instructor for step or dance-based fitness classes.
Age: 18+ years
Prerequisites: Fitness Alberta® - Foundations in Physical Activity and Exercise course. This course can be done at the same time or after the Group Choreography course.
Fitness Alberta® - Group Conditioning Specialty Course
Take this course to become a certified Group Fitness Instructor for strength and conditioning style fitness classes.
Age: 18+ years
Prerequisites: Fitness Alberta® – Foundations in Physical Activity & Exercise course. This course can be done at the same time or after the Group Exercise course.
Fitness Alberta® - Group Cycle Specialty
Take this course to become a certified Group Fitness Instructor for indoor cycling fitness classes
Age: 18+ years
Prerequisites: Fitness Alberta® – Foundations in Physical Activity & Exercise course. This course can be done at the same time or after the Group Cycle course.
Fitness Alberta® - Mind-body Specialty Course
Take this course to become a certified Mind-body Instructor. to integrate mind-body fitness traditions. Prerequisite: Fitness Alberta® Foundations in Physical Activity and Exercise.
Why choose us?
We offer Fitness Alberta® certifications, which are required to lead fitness classes in Alberta.
Courses provide evidence-informed education for exercise professionals in supportive environments. Manual is included in course fee.
Our Trainers are top notch and will provide you with the theory and practical experience you need to be successful as a fitness professional.
What are courses like?
These courses offer a combination of classroom learning where you will learn about leadership and professionalism, the basic components of a fitness class, cueing, how to use music, and legal responsibility and accountability.
In the active, practical application components of this course you will learn how to develop movement combinations, analyze exercises for their applications and benefits, and considerations for special populations.
You will also have your first opportunity to practice teaching with your peers.
- Pen and note book
- Water bottle,
- Snacks and bag lunch / dinner
- For Group fitness and Older Adult Courses:
- Clean indoor athletic shoes that have not been worn outside
- Wear clothing that you can exercise in and a sweater or jacket for later
- For Aquatic Fitness courses:
- Swim suit and towel(s)
- Coins or your own lock for the locker