Benefits of taking our golf lessons
You will learn core skills like setup, basic swing mechanics, putting and chipping for all levels and abilities.
In our on-course play lessons, you will also learn strategy, etiquette and rules.
Winter registration dates
You can now register for winter programs, classes and day camps.
Registration will open:
- 6 a.m. — Online (virtual waiting room opens at 5:30 a.m.)
- 8:30 a.m. — By calling the Customer Service Centre at 403-268-3800 (option 1).
- During business hours — At any City-operated Aquatic & Recreation or Arts facility.
Types of golf lessons
You can register online, in person at our Recreation facilities, or by calling
If your preferred lesson is sold out, please add to the waitlist. You will be contacted only if a space opens up.
About our PGA Golf Professionals
Our lessons are taught by professional instructors from the National Golf Academy, which also offers their own private, group and semi-private lessons. NGA's teaching staff includes some of the country's finest instructors including:
- Terry Carter - 2009/2004 PGA of Alberta Teacher of the Year, top 50 instructor in Canada, (nominated for top 100 instructors in North America for Golf Magazine)
- Darryl James - 2015 PGA of Alberta Club Pro Champion, 2014 2nd place PGA of Alberta Club Pro Champion & 2007/2008 PGA of Alberta Player of the Year.
- Dan Cameron - 2014 Winner PGA Alberta Club Pro Champion. 4-time PGA of Alberta Player of the Year, PGA of Alberta Junior Teacher of the Year, 25 year service award recipient Canadian PGA.
What are lessons like?
- Lessons are taught in a fun, relaxed and supportive environment.
- You will be outside, rain or shine, for the full length of the lesson and some locations have under cover spaces.
- You may be asked to share stalls.
- We maintain a max 8:1 instructor ratio and 6:1 for small groups.
- Instructors are subject to change.
- On the last day of playing lessons, in groups of 4, you will get on-course training to learn strategy, etiquette and rules.
- If you aren't registered in the class then you are unable to remain in the lesson area during the lesson, unless your presence is deemed necessary for instruction or safety of participant(s) (ie. Support Person/Aides).
- Waiver forms are required to be completed and will be collected on the first day of program.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to bring their own clubs or borrow from someone. However, clubs will be provided if needed.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and wear loose clothing, hat and soft soled shoes or running shoes.
- Bring your own water bottle
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Balls and tees are provided.
- Golfers are not required to have golf gloves or golf shoes.
Inclement Weather Procedure
Occasionally our outdoor lessons are relocated or cancelled in the event of severe weather, extreme temperatures or poor air quality.
If you are unsure if weather will affect your lesson, please call the inclement weather line up to 2 hours prior to scheduled lesson start time.
If no update is provided, please attend your lesson as scheduled.
The inclement weather line is 403-300-1000.
- Our Kids on Course subsidy program, provides juniors and families, who are approved for fee assistance, with free opportunities to learn and play golf in specially designed programs.
- Golfers of all abilities are welcome to attend our golf lessons. Please check Golf Course Accessibility Information to understand any barriers as we continue to work on improving access for everyone.
- Lessons are inclusive for all. Please contact us and we would be happy to help understand your needs and abilities to ensure success for your lessons.
Unknown – Adult Beginner Series
I was registered in the Adult Golf lessons at McCall Golf Course. Mike was amazing and thoroughly enjoyed the evenings golfing :)
Cerebral Palsy Kids & Families – Junior Adaptive Golf
We really enjoyed the program. I can say everything was perfect. Great instructors and staff, perfect ratio of instructors to students, all accessible trails and luckily nice weather!
New to golf?
From safety and etiquette to dress code, find answers to questions for beginners
Golf lesson progression chart
Suggested steps for golf lessons
Safety and etiquette
Basic rules and safety awareness
Policies and dress code
Proper conduct while on the course