Pre-Roll Consultation Period
Pre-Roll Consultation Period (Pre-Roll) is a time when non-residential and multi-residential property owners and their representatives can review their Preliminary 2021 Property Assessment values before they are finalized and mailed in January. This year’s Pre-Roll program runs from Thursday, Oct. 1 – Friday, Nov. 27, 2020.
The benefits of Pre-Roll are:
- Accurate values: We are committed to providing reliable preliminary assessments that reflect market value. We will share in a discussion with you about these values, which will result in more accurate final assessments in January. This will help you plan and budget for the upcoming tax year.
- A personalized approach: We are available to discuss any questions or comments that you may have. In addition to speaking with us directly, you can send your assessment questions here starting Oct. 1. We will be responding to the most commonly asked questions by uploading a FAQ video to this same webpage on Oct. 22, 2020.
- Online accessibility: Preliminary values for all non-residential and multi-residential properties will be available on Assessment Search throughout Pre-Roll.
How can I participate in Pre-Roll?
During Pre-Roll we will be sharing an informational video on this same webpage to tell you more about what is happening in the Calgary market. This video will cover information on a variety of property types including:
- Special-Purpose and Land
You will hear from our own assessors about what the market looks like for non-residential and multi-residential properties. We want you to know what is happening in the market, and then we want to talk with you about it.
From Thursday, Oct. 1 to Friday, Nov. 27, 2020 you will be able to see your preliminary 2021 non-residential and/or multi-residential assessment value. Step-by-step instructions for creating your account and linking your property are available in the Property Owner How-To Guide.
You can also request an Assessment Explanation Supplement (AES) for your property, which is a report that explains how the assessment was prepared. If the property is assessed using the income approach to value, then the AES will immediately be available upon login throughout Pre-Roll. Otherwise, it can be requested online through Assessment Search. If you do not have an access code (located on the Pre-Roll invitation letter and your previous assessment notice) and cannot submit the request yourself, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you.
Even in these uncertain times, we believe that we have accurately captured market changes in your property assessment since last year. The information you shared with us in your Assessment Request for Information (ARFI) earlier this year has helped us prepare strong values. If you have yet to complete the ARFI for your non-residential and/or multi-residential property, then we ask that you return it as soon as possible.
Updating and sharing your property information helps us to accurately capture market changes in your property assessment since last year. For instructions on completing the ARFI online through Assessment Search. If you require another copy, please contact us and we’ll mail another copy to you.
Pre-Roll is meant to generate discussion to create more understanding and certainty for next year’s property assessment. We recognize that you have insight on the real estate market and we want to know your perspective. We encourage you to contact us to:
- Schedule an appointment with an assessor to talk about the details of your preliminary assessment
- Advise us of any changes in your property details or incorrect information that may impact your assessment value
- Exchange relevant market and property information, such as, but not limited to: rents, expenses, vacancy and sales information
- Discuss your estimated 2021 taxes to assist in budget planning for the upcoming tax year
Will the preliminary assessment value be the same as the value on my 2021 assessment notice?
The goal of Pre-Roll is to present reliable estimated values that most accurately reflect what may be coming in 2021. Work does continue and assessments are still being finalized throughout Pre-Roll.
It is possible that new or changing information received during or after Pre-Roll (e.g. new market trends identified) could result in a value changing.
If this is the case, Assessment is available to further discuss during the Customer Review Period once assessment notices are mailed in the new year.