Pre-Roll Consultation Period
The Pre-Roll Consultation Period is a time when non-residential and multi-residential property owners and their representatives can review their preliminary 2021 property assessment values, share new information about their property, and learn what the potential tax implications may be before assessments are finalized and mailed in January.
We understand the effects of COVID-19 have impacted everyone and to better accommodate commercial property owners we have extended this year’s Pre-Roll by three weeks. We have also made changes to our overall program to accommodate health and safety guidelines. We look forward to your participation in Pre-Roll.
This year’s Pre-Roll program runs from Thursday, Oct. 1 – Friday, Nov. 27, 2020.
How can I participate in Pre-Roll?
Non-residential and multi-residential property owners are encouraged to review their preliminary 2021 property assessment by logging onto their secure account on Assessment Search.
Step-by-step instructions for creating an account and linking your property are available in the Property Owner How-To Guide.
To help you review your assessed value we offer a variety of tools and services, such as:
- Assessment Explanation Supplement (AES): This report explains how your property was assessed. For properties using the income approach to value, the AES is available upon login to your secure Assessment Search account. For other properties, it can be requested online through your secure Assessment Search account.
Online resources available on calgary.ca/assessment: We offer a variety of online informational pages to help owners better understand how property assessments are prepared.
Will the preliminary assessment value be the same as the value on my 2021 assessment notice?
The goal of Pre-Roll is to present reliable estimated values that most accurately reflect what may be coming in 2021. Your assessment value when mailed in January may change because assessments are still being finalized throughout Pre-Roll.
It is possible that new or changing information received during or after Pre-Roll (e.g. new market trends identified) could result in a value changing. If this is the case, Assessment is available to further discuss your value during the Customer Review Period once assessment notices are mailed in January.
Assessment staff are available to help you further review your preliminary 2021 market value assessment. During your meeting we hope to further exchange information so that we both feel confident that the value placed fairly represents the market value for your property based on the July 1, 2020 valuation date. We encourage you to contact us and:
- Schedule an appointment with an assessor to talk about the details of your preliminary assessment.
- Advise us of any changes in your property details or incorrect information that may impact your assessment value.
- Exchange relevant market and property information, such as, but not limited to: rents, expenses, vacancy and sales information.
- Discuss your estimated 2021 taxes to assist in budget planning for the upcoming tax year.
To help you understand what your tax obligation may be, we have developed a preliminary tax calculator. It is available on calgary.ca/prerollcalculator. To use it please have your 2021 preliminary value and your 2020 assessment value. This information is available by logging onto your secure Assessment Search account.
You may also want to visit other online informational pages on calgary.ca to better understand how your assessment relates to tax. More specifically please visit the Financial Facts pages.
Why participate in Pre-Roll?
Participation in Pre-Roll helps property owners to better anticipate their share of property taxes before budgetary changes are announced. It also helps owners ensure fairness and equity. When owners review and verify the accuracy of their assessment then there will be equity among taxpayers.
We are committed to preparing fair and equitable market value assessments, ensuring that we all pay our fair share of taxes. During Pre-Roll we offer:
- Accurate values: We are committed to providing reliable assessments that reflect market value.
- Online accessibility: Preliminary values for all non-residential and multi-residential properties will be available on Assessment Search throughout Pre-Roll.”