37 Street Main Street
37 Street Main Street construction
Crews have started work on 37 Street S.W. for the season, and residents, businesses and commuters can expect to see ongoing detours and lane closures while crews are working. To see the map of construction this season, check out the staging plan.
Intersection closures and commute impacts
- Northbound right hand lane closure between 17 and 19 Avenue S.W.
- Northbound right hand lane closure between 13 and 15 Avenue S.W.
- Northbound right hand lane closure between 26 and 28 Avenue S.W.
- Southbound right hand lane closure between Bow Trail and 10 Avenue S.W.
You can expect to see road detours & lane closures associated with ongoing construction on 37 Street S.W. Please use caution when travelling in the area.
[ week of]
Construction on the east side of the road between 17 and 19 Avenue S.W. Work includes concrete work, utility work and road work. Business access will be maintained while crews are working.
[ week of]
Construction on the east side of the road between 26 and 28 Avenue S.W. Work includes concrete work, utility work and road work. The northbound right lane is closed during construction.
[ week of]
Construction on the east side of the road between 13 and 15 Avenue S.W. Work includes concrete work, utility work and road work. Driveway access will be maintained, and we do not anticipate there will be any impacts to private parking spots fronting 37 Street S.W.
[ week of]
Construction on the west side of the road between Bow Trail and 10 Avenue S.W. Work includes concrete work, utility work and road work. Access to driveways fronting 37 Street S.W. will be maintained while crews are working.
What you can expect during construction:
When construction is underway, here's what you can expect:
- An increase in on-site construction activity, including construction crews, vehicles and heavy equipment. Including an increase in noise and vibration throughout construction.
- Sidewalk closures and detours will ensure pedestrians and cyclists can travel safely through the area and still access their destinations.
- The temporary removal of some parking, road closures and potential road detours. Two-way traffic will be maintained during construction, except for occasional closures with a detour. We try to keep closures to long weekends to minimize commute impacts.
- We don't expect to see large-scale or complete utility shut-downs throughout the replacement of water and sewer lines; however, you will be notified if the need arises due to unforeseen conditions.
- An increase in truck and equipment traffic accessing the construction sites and surrounding areas, material removal and delivery, as well as on-site flaggers to help direct traffic.
- Temporary transit stop relocations and detours.
- Potential construction activity on weekends, weekdays, and overnight as required
Please note, construction in an older community like this means that sometimes we run into surprises during construction. We don't anticipate any issues, but the timeline could be impacted should we discover any surprises.
We appreciate your patience while crews are working in the area. We know that construction impacts can be disruptive, and we will work to mitigate impacts as best that we can.
Tree Removal & Replacement
The City of Calgary works to preserve as many trees as possible throughout construction; however, we know that some trees in the existing boulevard on the west side of 37 Street S.W. between 19 Ave and 26 Ave S.W. will be removed. Many of these trees are in poor condition, and once construction is complete, approximately 300 new boulevard trees will be replanted along 37 Street S.W.
We work with our contractors to preserve as many trees as possible throughout construction. Trees provide many environmental, public health and social benefits, particularly in highly developed areas. Removing a tree is a last resort. We have developed a tree protection and compensation plan to protect as many existing trees as possible and replace trees that have to be removed due to construction to replace the lost canopy.
Trees will be planted throughout the project, and you will start to see new trees in areas where the construction is complete. While trees are being planted, you can expect short-term lane closures.
Do you have a specific question about the West 17 Avenue and 37 Street Main Streets projects? You can send us an email: email@example.com
Sign up for our email updates to receive ongoing updates about the West 17 Avenue and 37 Street Main Streets projects