144 Avenue N.W. Improvements - Sage Hill Drive to 24 Street N.W.
Project updates - May 2023
Crews are underway with construction throughout the project area. Through May and June 2023, major construction activities will include:
- Installation of retaining and noise walls by adjacent homes in Evanston
- Underground stormwater deep utility installations at the east end of the project area (near Evanston)
- Road grading to the east of Symons Valley Road, to prepare for the future 144 Avenue extension
- Roadworks (catch basins, concrete curb and gutters, road base) and streetlighting between Sage Hill Drive and Symons Valley Road (June)
No traffic impacts are expected as part of this work.
Through summer and fall 2023, work will include:
- Various roadworks to build the 144 Avenue N.W. extension, adjacent to Evanston
- Widening and traffic light installation at the Symons Valley Road and 144 Avenue N.W. intersection
- Start of bridge construction over West Nose Creek
Regular updates will be posted on this page and shared via the email newsletter throughout construction.
To assist you in better understanding the scope of the project, please watch the video below.
The City of Calgary will be undertaking significant roadway improvements in the 144 Avenue N.W. area. Construction will begin in spring 2022 for an extension of 144 Avenue N.W. from 24 Street N.W. (Panorama Road), through Symons Valley Road to Sage Hill Drive N.W.
The project will include:
- 1.2km of new arterial roadway;
- a bridge crossing over West Nose Creek;
- an expansion to the multi-use pathway system further linking to the 5A cycle network; and
- improvements to the transportation network and connectivity in the area for all modes of travel
(Click for larger image)
From 2018 - 2020, The City completed a Functional Planning Study for 144 Ave. N.W. to look at the general design and location of the road between Symons Valley Road N.W. and Panorama Road N.W., including the West Nose Creek crossing and the eventual realignment of Symons Valley Road onto Mountain View Road.
Near the northwestern edge of Calgary, 144 Ave. N.W. is an arterial street located between the rapidly developing communities of Evanston, Nolan Hill, and Sage Hill, and major skeletal roads including Sarcee Trail, Shaganappi Trail and Symons Valley Road. Planned to be the only continuous east-west connection north of Stoney Trail, 144 Ave. N.W. will provide an important link for all modes of transportation into the future.
Current and future development of communities and land adjacent to 144 Ave. N.W., such as within the Glacier Ridge Area Structure Plan (ASP), has prioritized the need for The City to improve the transportation network in the area. There is also a strong future need to facilitate east-west transit connectivity between adjacent communities and the future Green Line LRT running along Centre Street.
Visit the engagement page for information on the public engagement throughout the Functional Planning Study.
The City is working closely with environmental experts and consultants to mitigate potential environmental impacts. We are mindful of the important bio-diversity and natural features in this area and will incorporate these considerations as we plan for and complete design and construction.
In order to minimize both capital cost and future operation/maintenance costs of the bridge, The City plans to relocate a portion of West Nose Creek. This relocation is a common procedure which has been successfully implemented as part of other infrastructure projects. We are planning this procedure in a way that absolutely conserves and maintains the integrity of the natural area.
On April 1, 2022 project team members from The City of Calgary, ISL Engineering and Graham Construction participated in a ceremony with representatives from the Siksika Nation and Blood Tribe at the 144 Avenue N.W. site.
Members of the Blood Tribe and Siksika Nation led traditional blessings, acknowledging the spiritual significance of the land and praying for a safe and successful project. Following the ceremony, the project's archaeologist led a site orientation for construction crews. This included an overview of the types of historical items to watch for and the process to follow should anything be found.
We thank the Blood Tribe and Siksika Nation for their participation and support as we begin the 144 Avenue N.W. project.
- Finalize engineering design: Spring/Summer2021
- Construction tender; hire contractor; plan/schedule construction: Summer 2021
- Construction: Spring 2022 to fall 2024
- Project Substantial Completion: Fall 2024
Please note: Construction Activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines could change due to inclement weather, underground conditions and/or other unexpected circumstances. Schedule updates will be provided.
Click to enlarge image
Sign up for email updates to receive news and notices about the project.
Connect with the project team
For more information, please contact the project team at 144AveNW@calgary.ca