Crowchild over Glenmore Bridge Rehabilitation
Construction update - October 30, 2023
Crews finished the rehabilitation of the Crowchild over Glenmore Bridge last week and have already demobilized. All remaining lanes and ramps have been re-opened to traffic. We will monitor landscaping progress next spring to ensure growth and complete restoration of the area used.
Thank you for your patience during the rehabilitation of this bridge. We hope all Calgarians can enjoy these improvements, including the new multi-use pathway for years to come.
About the project
Built in 1981, the Crowchild bridge is a two-way, multi-lane bridge that spans above Glenmore and provides a connection primarily to the Lakeview community and beyond. Various parts of the bridge were deteriorating due to age and needed rehabilitation. Ongoing regular maintenance along with timely major rehabilitations are critical to keeping bridges safe and reliable while minimizing future expenditures and extending the service life of these structures.
Scope of work
The rehabilitation work on the bridge structure included:
- general concrete repairs
- improvement of pedestrian/cyclist mobility by creating a multi-user pathway on one side of the bridge
- removal of the existing longitudinal expansion joint
- life-cycling of signals
The project benefits included:
- improving the condition of the bridge and extending its service life by approximately 35 years;
- removing the existing longitudinal expansion joint to help prevent future substructure deterioration;
- improving traffic signal placement;
- enhancing crosswalk markings to improve visibility and accessibility;
- promoting use of alternative and active modes of transportation by building a multi-use pathway;
- improving one critical link in the transportation network to accommodate opportunities for Calgary's continued growth in the coming years.
- Design: Spring 2023 (Complete)
- Construction start: Spring 2023
- Substantial completion: October 26, 2023
Construction activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines may change due to inclement weather, complexity, supply chain, and/or other unexpected circumstances.
Sign up to receive email updates about this project.
Estimated Budget: $6.8 million