Travel and activity surveys
Knowing how, when and why people travel helps transportation planners identify travel behaviour patterns and trends to forecast future travel demand. This information helps decision-makers prioritize funding for transportation infrastructure.
Information collected through these surveys is used to:
- Identify travel behavior trends and patterns to inform future planning.
- Update the Calgary Regional Transportation Model, a computer simulation of future transportation demand for Calgary and the surrounding region.
- Measure the effects of policy changes such as parking costs and high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes.
- Support key transportation and land use studies.
- Measuring progress on the 60-year Municipal Development Plan and Calgary Transportation Plan.
My Travel Log
My Travel Log - a continuous study that will help us make important decisions as we plan and prioritize for future transportation infrastructure.
The City is conducting a continuous study on how, when and why people travel in and around the Calgary Region.
- Selected households in Calgary, the Rocky View County, Wheatland County and the Municipal District (MD) of Foothills are invited to participate in the study.
- Households are randomly selected to participate to ensure a statistically valid sample.
- A study invitation and subsequent materials are mailed to selected households.
- The continuous study will survey approximately 1,500 households each year.
For more information, visit mytravellog.ca.
Note: Only invited households are provided with a password to log in and participate.
My Travel Log documents
Travel behaviour changes over the past 40 years
Using information collected in past surveys, The City is preparing a 4-part report series (below) titled "Changing Travel Behaviour in the Calgary Region" to provide a comprehensive look at how travel behavior has changed over the last 40 years.
|Description: Report 1 includes:
||Completion Date: Q2 2013|
|Description: Report 2 includes:
||Completion Date: Q4 2013|
|Description: Report 3 will include:
||Completion Date: Q4 2014|
|Description: Report 4 will include:
||Completion Date: Q4 2015|
If specific analysis is required for a particular project outside of the report schedule above, please follow the procedure for requesting analysis from the Transportation Forecasting Division or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
2012 Calgary and Region Travel and Activity Survey Final Report
This report contains preliminary results that do not represent the full Calgary Region population. For results that represent the Calgary Region population, use the report series above.
2001 Household Activity Survey Report
2001 Travel to Work Survey
1999 Travel to Work Survey
External Truck Survey Study - 2001 Calgary Region
2000 Commodity Flow Survey Report