How to prepare for the Youth Hiring Fair
Here's are some steps to help prepare for your visit to the Youth Hiring Fair:
- Decide what type of job you are looking for – summer or longer-term?
- Know when you are available to work.
- What hours and days during the week are you able to work?
- Are you available for the summer?
- What date are you able to start working?
- How will you get to work?
- Public transit?
- Review what employers are attending the Fair and make a list of employers that you want to talk to and research them before the fair.
- Check out the company website for more information and try to find the job posting, so that you know what the employer is looking for in their employees.
- Prepare an elevator pitch to introduce yourself to employers. If you have done your research on which employer’s you want to talk to, you should have at least one reason prepared on why you want to work for their company. Creating an elevator pitch for the Youth Hiring Fair
- At the Hiring Fair, you can obtain a map of the booths so that you can find all the employers you are targeting.
- After the fair make sure to follow up with employers and with your employment counsellor. Check your email regularly.
Visit the Youth Employment Centre
For more information on how to prepare for the Youth Hiring Fair please come to the Youth Employment Centre and speak to an employment counsellor.
Drop-in hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (excluding statutory holidays) Registration is not available between 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. But the computer lab and other resources are still available during this time.
Location: Alberta Trade Centre, 2nd floor, 315 10 Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta, T2G 0W2.