Taxi, Limousine & Ridesharing - Passenger Safety
Taxis, limousine and rideshare companies are regulated by The City of Calgary and have to meet City safety standards. These regulations help protect the safety of both you and the driver. If you have concerns or complaints regarding a taxi, limousine, or ridesharing service, call 311. If you feel as though your safety is threatened, call 911.
Please note that only taxis may park in a taxi stand, and taxi trips do not need to be pre-booked. Limousines and rideshare trips must be booked prior to the vehicle arriving.
Compliments or complaints
If you would like to compliment a driver or you have a concern or complaint about this service - call 311, use the app or submit your service request using Calgary.ca/311.
All complaints are thoroughly investigated by Calgary’s Vehicle for Hire Peace Officers.
To find information on Calgary Transit Access visit calgarytransit.com/calgary-transit-access.
What do I need to know when using a taxi service?
- Taxis may be ‘street hailed’ or booked various ways i.e., phone, app, text, web.
- Before entering the taxi, make note of the company name, vehicle color and vehicle number. If possible, check to see if there is a taxi plate on the rear bumper. All drivers must display their Taxi Driver’s Licence. If you cannot see it, you may ask the driver to show you.
- All taxi drivers and passengers have rights that are regulated through the Passenger and Driver Bill of Rights.
What do I need to know when using a limousine service?
- With the exception of limousine service at the Calgary Airport Arrivals level, limousine drivers are not permitted to pick up customers who hail them on the street.
- Booking must be done via an app, email, website or phone call.
- Be diligent about checking the information provided during booking:
- The time, date and location of where you are to be picked-up
- The destination where you are to be dropped off
- The limousine plate number (on back window)
- All drivers must display their Taxi Driver’s Licence. If you cannot see it, you may ask the driver to show you.
What do I need to know when using a rideshare service?
- Drivers are not permitted to pick up customers who hail them on the street or seek out business by approaching potential customers.
- All trips and payment must be booked through a rideshare company app.
- After you book your trip, you will receive a booking confirmation and trip details. Check the information before you get in the vehicle to ensure you are getting into the correct vehicle. The app includes:
- A photo of the driver
- The licence plate number, and the make and model of the vehicle
- Company logo (visible on front windshield and back window)
- An electronic receipt