Cart placement tips
Follow these quick steps to get ready for collection day
Fill your cart
Fill your carts and lower the lids. Make sure the material isn't packed in too tightly so it will fall out when the garbage truck picks it up.
Is your cart full?
- If possible, please hold onto extra garbage, recyclables or yard waste until your next collection day, when you can fit them into the appropriate cart. Alternatively, please ask your neighbours if they have space in their carts that you could also use.
- During busier periods, we will collect material inside the cart, but may limit the number of extra bags we pick up to make sure everyone gets service. If some of your extra bags are not picked up, store them on your property until the next week's collection.
Extra yard waste
- Fill your green cart first, then use paper yard waste bags when your green cart is full.
- Roll the tops of the bags closed to prevent spills and allow your collector to pick up bags properly.
- Place bags at least 0.5 m (2 ft) away from the side of your cart.
- Extra paper yard waste bags must weigh less than 20 kg (44 pounds). If you can lift with one hand, it should be okay.
Extra recycling: Extra bags are not accepted. All recyclables must be inside the blue cart.
- Break down boxes to make extra room in your blue bin.
- Take extra recycling to a community recycling depot or save it for next week.
- Fill your black cart first - it can hold three or four bags of garbage.
- When you cart is full, use standard garbage bags and securely tie closed. Only put bags out on pickup day.
- Place extra bags at least 0.5 m (2 ft) away from the side of your cart.
- Extra garbage bags must weigh less than 20 kg (44 pounds). If you can lift with one hand, it should be okay.
Blue and green carts are picked up on the same day of the week. Ensure adequate spacing between carts, extra yard waste bags and other obstacles.
Place your cart
To ensure collection, carts need to be out by 7 a.m. on your collection day. Place the carts on flat ground, not on a raised platform.
- Front street: Place cart wheels against the curb.
- Back lane: Place cart wheels with enough space to walk between your cart and your back hedge, garage or fence.
- Clear snow and ice to put your carts on even ground. Place carts in a dry area so they don’t get frozen to the ground.
- Don’t place carts behind or on top of snow banks.
- Clear snow off your blue cart lid and keep the lid closed so that paper and other recyclables stay dry.
Please note: Where you place your cart may change during snow route parking bans or spring street cleaning.
Leave enough space around your carts so you can easily walk between and around them.
- At least 3 metres (10 f) of space above your carts. Keep away from basketball nets, eavestroughs and electric lines.
- At least 1 m (3 ft) from obstacles on either side, such as parked cars, power poles, utility boxes, fences, downspouts and garages.
- At least 0.5 m (2 ft) of space behind your carts. If you can open the lid fully without hitting anything, that should be enough space.
The City uses garbage trucks with mechanical arms to pick up black, blue and green carts.
The mechanical arm requires adequate space to reach, grab and lift the bins to empty them. Placing your carts with enough space means your driver will be able to pick them up safely and stay on schedule for you and your neighbors.
Black carts are picked up on a separate day than your other carts. Keep your other carts stored to make room for garbage pickup.
Put your carts away by 7 p.m. on your collection day by pulling them back against your fence or property. Don't leave your carts blocking the alleyways.
This helps keep our alleys clean and prevents others from using your carts.
You are responsible for taking care of your cart and keeping it clean.