Multi-family signage and education requirements
As of November 1, 2017, multi-family complexes like apartments, condos and townhomes are required to separate food and yard waste from the garbage for composting or diversion. See Food and Yard Waste Bylaw Requirements.
Since February 1, 2016, all multi-family complexes must also provide recycling for residents. See Recycling Bylaw Requirements.
As an owner or manager, you are now required to provide signage on all collection containers and education to residents at least once per year.
Signage and education requirements
To comply with the bylaw requirements, you must do the following:
1. Provide clear signage on all collection containers for garbage, recycling and food and yard waste, indicating what type of materials goes in each collection container.
Pictures are not required; however, they will help residents understand what goes in the bin, improving the success of your program.
2. Inform your residents at least once per year, as well as when a new resident moves in, of the following:
- Location of garbage, recycling and food and yard waste containers;
- List of materials that go into each container; and
- Proper method for preparing and sorting waste material for collection.
3. This information needs to be communicated to residents in either:
- Written format – paper copies in mail boxes, posted on each door, under doors, and/or in orientation packages; or
- Electronic communications via email.
Face-to-face communication is also recommended but not required.