Protecting Calgary’s precious water resources is a shared responsibility among The City of Calgary, businesses and Calgarians.
There are many actions you can take to ensure that your home is safe and as water efficient as possible. This simple checklist is a great place to start.
You can also discover a library of tips and tools for creating a water-efficient home. Visit our Homeowner Water Guide.
Lawn and yard
- Check the Watering 101 Guide to find out when to start watering plants, shrubs and trees.
- Consult the YardSmart plant list before you plan what you plant this season.
- Schedule lawn aerating and dethatching.
- Once pollinators are done hibernating (when average night time temperature is 10 degrees Celcius), clean debris from gardens and lawns.
- Pull any weeds that may have grown, remove dead animals and prune perennials.
- Fertilize gardens and lawns with compost. Check City of Calgary compost pick-up dates and add them to your calendar.
- Add mulch to your gardens. Check City of Calgary mulch pick-up dates and locations, and add them to your calendar.
- Set up or install your rain barrel, or consider purchasing one from Green Calgary.
- Get your lawn mower serviced, sharpen the blades and set the cutting height to three inches to keep your grass healthy.
- Check and repair watering cans and hoses.
- Check for water leaks from your outdoor tap and irrigation system.
- Clean and repair downspouts, and direct stormwater away from your house, ideally towards your garden.
- Clean any debris from storm drains in the street near your home.
- Check all outdoor water fixtures like fountains and ponds for leaks.
- If you have an automatic irrigation system, schedule to have your backflow prevention device tested by certified cross connection tester.