Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 3 outdoor water restrictions are in effect. Learn more about how City services are impacted and what you can do during this stage.

Learn more

Bylaws related to recreational vehicles

Our Traffic Bylaw governs the parking and utilization of recreational vehicles (RVs) within the city, including motor homes and trailers. Here's a clear breakdown of the regulations:

  • Detached trailers and campers cannot be parked on city streets or alleys.
  • RVs, like motor homes, are allowed to park on a street directly adjacent to the owner's residence for a maximum of 36 hours. After this period, the RV must be relocated to an off-street location for at least 48 hours before returning to the street.
  • As per the Community Standards Bylaw, the parking of Recreational Vehicles (e.g., RVs and boats) is permissible on a hard surfaced driveway or parking stall in the front yard of a house for a maximum of 36 hours.
  • The Land Use Bylaw permits the parking of RVs in a side yard setback.
RV Bylaw
  • Parked RVs and boats cannot block the view of intersections, crosswalks, playgrounds or signs.
  • Parked RVs and boats cannot obstruct the movement of other vehicles.

Related bylaws

This page is an overview. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.

Filing a complaint

Please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary) or use the 311 app for the following concerns:

  • Recreational Vehicle is parked in the front property area of a residential property in excess of 36 hours.
  • Trailer on actual front setback area while not actively engaged in loading or unloading.

To help us respond faster, please be ready with the following information:

  • Your name and address
  • A primary and alternate phone number
  • The address and exact location of the property for which you wish to register a complaint
  • A brief and concise description of the complaint

This information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted - you must identify yourself with the 311 service representative.

Please include any related photos when reporting a complaint with the 311 app. This will assist the investigating officer.

Contact Calgary Parking Authority Enforcement Services at 403-537-7100 for the following RV parking infractions:

  • RV on street/alley longer than 36 hours
  • RV parked in front of neighbouring home
  • RV protruding over sidewalk/roadway
  • RV parked in an alley that is less than 6.1 metres wide
  • RV obstructing driveway/garage
  • Detached trailer/camper on street/alley.

Learn more about filing a bylaw complaint and the process.

Related topics

You may be interested in