Bylaws related to smoking
Tobacco Reduction Act
Under the Tobacco Reduction Act, smoking is not permitted in public premises and workplaces.
- States that smoking is not permitted within 5 metres of a doorway, window, or air intake.
- Provides requirements for signs listing tobacco products and prices.
- Outlines inspectors' duties and authorizes inspectors to perform these duties.
- Exempts certain retailers, such as tobacconists, from the display and promotion conditions of the Act.
- Establishes requirements for these retailers to be exempt.
The Tobacco Reduction Act also restricts tobacco sales. Specifically:
- Retail displays, advertising and promotion of tobacco products are prohibited.
- Tobacco sales are not permitted from health care facilities, public post-secondary campuses, pharmacies, and stores that contain a pharmacy.
We have amended The City of Calgary Smoking Bylaw to prohibit the use of e-cigarettes in public premises where tobacco is currently prohibited.
One exception to the bylaw is that the sampling of e-cigarettes will be permitted in stand alone, enclosed retail vape shops. This exception does not include smoking e-cigarettes at kiosks located in malls or any other establishments, i.e. restaurants or bars.
The City has monitored the use of e-cigarettes in vape shops and has concluded that minors visiting or sampling e-cigarette products are not a concern. In addition, after discussions with adjacent businesses it was determined that the sampling of e-cigarette products within a store is not an issue.
Smoking and vaping bylaw
While the municipalSmoking and Vaping Bylaw remains in effect, the provincial Tobacco Reduction Act is the most restrictive piece of legislation and is primarily used when investigating a smoking complaint.
The Smoking and Vaping Bylaw covers infractions at/in:
- Olympic Plaza
- +15 systems
- Outdoor recreational areas: Smoking is not permitted within five metres of outdoor pools, outdoor skating rinks, playgrounds, skate parks or sports fields.
Please refer to the actual legislation for more detailed information. Original copies of the Smoking and Vaping Bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.
Filing a complaint
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).