Caution | State of Local Emergency declared

The City has declared a State of Local Emergency to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Wear a mask and get vaccinated.

COVID-19 Information Get vaccinated


Pet adoptions: Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society (AARCS) now manages pet adoptions for The City of Calgary. Adoptable pets can be found at

Learn more

Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Helping lost pets find home Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Calgary pet licenses are your lost cat or dog’s ticket home. Licences give us the information we need to return your pets safely.

Licencing fees pay for all sorts of animal welfare programs in our city. Thanks to pet licensing, Calgary has the highest return-to-owner and lowest euthanization rates in North America. 

News and updates

June 2, 2021

Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw Update passed by City Council

The update to the Responsible Pet Ownership (RPO) Bylaw passed during the Regular Meeting of City Council on June 2 and will go into effect on January 1, 2022.

New programs and licensing for urban hens and bee keeping are anticipated to be introduced in spring 2022. Please check here for updates.

Licences support pet programs

Your licence fees go towards care for adoptable pets, health and education programs – and lost pet family reunions.

First ride is on us

Through the Pet Drive Home Program, peace officers are able to return lost pets directly to their owner’s home when found.

Licence fees

Cats and dogs three months or older are required to have a City of Calgary licence. Learn more about the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

Fee description Dogs Cats
Unaltered male or female animal $67.00 $40.00
Altered male or female animal $42.00 $19.00
Unaltered animal (under 6 months at license purchase) $42.00 $19.00
Vicious animal licence $294.00
Nuisance animal license $116.00
Replacement tag ​$5.00 ​$5.00

How to license your pet

You can license your cat or dog online, in person or by phone.


Purchase a pet licence by signing into you myID account. Citizens without a myID personal account will need to register an account to purhcase a licence online.


You can purchase a licence at:

Property Tax, Business Tax and Animal Licensing counter
800 Macleod Trail S.E., Calgary

Payment can be made with cheque, cash or debit card. Credit cards are not accepted.​

By phone

Payment over phone: VISA, MasterCard or Amex

Pre-paid credit cards are accepted; ask 311 to transfer your call to Animal Services for help.​​

Can I transfer my licence?

If you sell or give away your pet, you must make an animal licence transfer. This documents the ownership change and lets the new owner to licence the pet.

Transfer of ownership must be done in person at the Animal Services Centre.​

Fines for false declarations on licence form

​Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, you do not have to give a copy of a spay/neuter certificate to qualify for a reduced licence fee.

But if you make a false declaration about the licensing of an animal you can be fined $500.00.

When does my pet have to wear their licence?

  • Your dog must have licence tags on when off your property. This applies even if they have a tattoo or microchip.
  • Your cat must have licence tags on if: 
    • they don’t have a tattoo or microchip.
    • if tattoos aren’t legible.

Help us reunite impounded pets with their owners in our Animal Services Facebook Group.

Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw

The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw helps us work with you to ensure that cats and dogs live in safety and harmony with their owners and neighbours.

We advocate responsible pet ownership through five principles:

  1. Licence and provide permanent identification for cats and dogs.
  2. Spay or neuter pets.
  3. Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for pets.
  4. Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
  5. ​Procure your pet ethically, from a credible source.