Responsible pet ownership and licenses
The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw helps us work with you to ensure that cats and dogs live in safety and harmony with their owners and neighbours.
We advocate responsible pet ownership through five principles:
- Licence and provide permanent identification for cats and dogs.
- Spay or neuter pets.
- Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for pets.
- Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
- Procure your pet ethically, from a credible source.
COVID-19 Service Changes | We are changing our business practices daily to keep you and our staff safe during COVID-19. If you have any questions, please call 3-1-1.
Licensing your cat or dog
The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw states that all Calgary cats and dogs three months and older must have a City of Calgary licence.
- Your pet’s license is their ticket home. The license gives us critical information to help your pet return safely.
- Thanks to pet licensing, Calgary has the highest return-to-owner and lowest euthanization rates in North America.
Did you know- no tax dollars are used to fund many of our services.
Licensing fees cover these services:
- Reunite lost cats and dogs with owners.
- Shelter and care for pets in our vet-operated facility.
- Educate pet owners about the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.
- Manage our animal adoption program- reducing homeless animals in Calgary.
- Provide medical care to adoptable animals.
- Help neighbours resolve animal-related conflicts.
- Operate the No Cost Spay/Neuter program for eligible low-income Calgarians.
- Your dog must have licence tags on when off your property. This applies even if they have a tattoo or microchip.
- Your cat must have licence tags on if:
- they don’t have a tattoo or microchip.
- if tattoos aren’t legible.
| Fee Description||Dogs||Cats|
|Unaltered male or female animal||$66.00||$39.00|
|Altered male or female animal||$41.00||$19.00|
|Unaltered animal (under 6 months at license purchase)||$41.00||$19.00|
|Vicious animal license||$289.00|
|Nusiance animal license||$114.00|
How to Licence your animal
You can license your pet either online, in person or by phone.
You can purchase a licence at:
- Animal Services Centre or,
- Municipal Building,
Property Tax, Business Tax and Animal Licensing counter
800 Macleod Trail S.E., Calgary
Payment can be made with cheque, cash or debit card. Credit cards are not accepted.
Payment over phone: VISA, MasterCard or Amex
Pre-paid credit cards are accepted; ask 311 to transfer your call to Animal Services for help.
If you sell or give away your pet, you must make an animal licence transfer. This documents the ownership change and lets the new owner to licence the pet.
Transfer of ownership must be done in person at the Animal Services Centre.
Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, you do not have to give a copy of a spay/neuter certificate to qualify for a reduced licence fee.
But if you make a false declaration about the licensing of an animal you can be fined $500.00.