Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Helping lost pets find home Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Calgary pet licences are your lost cat or dog’s ticket home. Licences give us the information we need to return your pets safely.

Licensing fees pay for all sorts of animal welfare programs in our city. Thanks to pet licensing, Calgary has the highest return-to-owner and lowest euthanization rates in North America. 

News and updates

Urban Hen Program

March 9, 2022

The urban livestock licensing program enables Calgarians to keep backyard hens under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

The program will accept 100 applicants in its first year. To ensure equity, if demand exceeds 100 applicants, a lottery system will randomize applications once intake is closed. The 100 applications selected from the lottery will then be processed.

Learn more about the Urban Hen Program and how to apply

No Cost Spay/Neuter Program reinstated, accepting applications now

Feb. 14, 2022

Animal Services has reinstated the No Cost Spay/Neuter Program for low income Calgarians, beginning with cats. Surgeries will being in March 2022.

Learn more

Licences support pet programs

Your licence fees go towards care for adoptable pets, health and education programs – and lost pet family reunions.

First ride is on us

Through the Pet Drive Home Program, peace officers are able to return lost pets directly to their owner’s home when found.

Licence fees

Cats and dogs three months or older are required to have a City of Calgary licence. Learn more about the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

Fee description Dogs Cats
Unaltered male or female animal $68.00 $40.00
Unaltered male or female animal (two year licence) $136.00 $82.00
Altered male or female animal $43.00 $20.00
Altered male or female animal (two year licence) $86.00 $40.00
Unaltered animal (under 6 months at licence purchase) $43.00 $20.00
Vicious animal licence $300.00
Nuisance animal license $119.00
Replacement tag ​$5.00 ​$5.00

How to license your pet

You can license your cat or dog online, in person or by phone.


Purchase a pet licence by signing into you myID account. Citizens without a myID personal account will need to register an account to purhcase a licence online.


You can purchase a licence at:

Property Tax, Business Tax and Animal Licensing counter
800 Macleod Trail S.E., Calgary

Payment can be made with cheque, cash or debit card. Credit cards are not accepted.​

By phone

Payment over phone: VISA, MasterCard or Amex

Pre-paid credit cards are accepted; ask 311 to transfer your call to Animal Services for help.​​

Can I transfer my licence?

If you sell or give away your pet, you must make an animal licence transfer. This documents the ownership change and lets the new owner to licence the pet.

Transfer of ownership must be done in person at the Animal Services Centre.​

Fines for false declarations on licence form

​Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, you do not have to give a copy of a spay/neuter certificate to qualify for a reduced licence fee.

But if you make a false declaration about the licensing of an animal you can be fined $500.00.

When does my pet have to wear their licence?

  • Your dog must have licence tags on when off your property. This applies even if they have a tattoo or microchip.
  • Your cat must have licence tags on if: 
    • they don’t have a tattoo or microchip.
    • if tattoos aren’t legible.

Licensing a new pet or changing your pet’s status from unaltered to spayed or neutered?

Under the updated Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, proof of spay or neuter is required to qualify for the reduced licence rate. After signing up for your license, please email your proof of spay or neuter to Animal Services at no later than seven days from payment to complete your licence registration.

Forms of proof include:

  • Spay/neuter certificate (from veterinary clinic)
  • Veterinary receipt (stating surgery was performed, including the pet and owner information)
  • Veterinary letter (confirming the pet cannot reproduce)
  • Adoption contract (that includes surgery statement)
  • In-person commissioner froes (in-person Animal Services staff statutory confirmation) *does not apply to licence renewals, only new licences
  • In-person commissioner (statutory declaration by Animal Services staff) *does not apply to licence renewals, only new licences

If proof of spay or neuter is not received after seven days of receipt of payment, you will be contacted to pay the difference for the full license rate.

If you do not have proof of spay or neuter for your new pet, you may attend the Animal Services Centre in person to sign a statutory declaration.

Help us reunite impounded pets with their owners in our Animal Services Facebook Group.

Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw

The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw helps us work with you to ensure that cats and dogs live in safety and harmony with their owners and neighbours.

We advocate responsible pet ownership through five principles:

  1. Licence and provide permanent identification for cats and dogs.
  2. Spay or neuter pets.
  3. Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for pets.
  4. Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
  5. ​Procure your pet ethically, from a credible source.