Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 2 Outdoor Water Restrictions are in effect. Learn more about what you can do during this stage.

Learn more

Access to information requests

Access to information requests

Submit Access Request Online


The online request form is not compatible with Internet Explorer. Please use an alternative web browser to submit your request online. If you have not received acknowledgement that your request was received within 5 business days of submission, please contact the Access and Privacy office by email at or by phone at (403) 268-5861, option 2.

The Calgary Police Service ("CPS") is a separate public body from The City of Calgary. If you want to submit an Access Request for CPS records, please visit their website, email them at or phone them at (403) 428-8484.

Submit your request

Once you have determined the type of request you would like to make, you can complete the request form. Please be specific in your request and give as much detail as possible related to:

  • The records you want to access
  • The business unit and/or department of The City you believe has the records and
  • The time period for the records

A Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy​ access request allows you to obtain not-publicly-available information collected by The City. You may also request corrections to your personal information.

To submit an access to information request for general or personal information, please click on the button below and follow the instructions to apply online. 

Please note that when submitting a request for your own personal information you are consenting to your personal information being shared with the applicable business unit(s) to assist with the search for responsive records.

You will be required to provide proof of your identity before records containing your personal information are be released to you. If a copy of your identification is provided to The City of Calgary it will not be retained after verification.

Before you get started

We strive to give Calgarians clarity and transparency. Not all requests for information require a formal access to information request. The information you want may already be publicly available or routinely disclosed.

  1. Available upon request

    Many City records and information are available without a formal access to information request. Citizens are asked to contact 311 to reach the department that may have the information you are requesting. The City may set reasonable fees to cover the cost of providing the information.

  2. Available online

    This is the periodical and proactive release of information to Calgarians. The City publishes information on a huge number of topics on and the Open Data Catalogue​.​

Types of access requests

If you recognize that the information you would like is not available through one of the disclosure methods above, complete an access to information request. There are two types:

  • General access to information request – recorded information that is not about an identifiable person. I.e.: Environmental Reports, Information about City Projects, 311 Service Reports, City Auditor Reports, Reports to Council (that are not publicly available)
  • Personal access to information request – recorded information about yourself or a person you are authorized to act for.  E.g.: HR Files (if you are a City employee), Property Tax History, Dog Bite Files (in which you were a victim OR were a dog owner)
  • Calgary Police ServiceHow to file an information request with the Calgary Police Service.

Cost to submit an access request

  • General access to information - Initial fee of $25.00. Additional fees may be charged for processing costs.
  • Personal access to information - No initial fee. Subject to fees for producing a copy of the record if estimated to exceed $10.

Payment Options:

Pay online

To make an initial fee payment ($25.00) for your request for general information, or for a fee estimate that has been previously issued to you by an Access and Privacy Analyst, please pay online. 

Note:  a myID account is required to log into ePay. If you already have an existing myID account, you may use your credentials to log into the epay system.

If this is your first time using ePay download instructions for ePay (online payment)

You can also pay by:

  • By cheque or money order made payable to The City of Calgary and mailed to the address below; or
  • By phone using your credit card, by calling Access and Privacy Section at 403-268-5861 extension 2.

Please note that effective January 31, 2023, The City has transitioned to our new Merchant Service Provider, Moneris.

What this means for our applicants:

  • The following card brands are accepted as payment on our ePay website and PINPAD Terminals: VISA, Mastercard, Discover, UnionPay, and American Express. In addition, Interac will no longer be accepted. Instead, The City will accept VISA debit and Mastercard debit.
  • You will be provided with an option at the end of the transaction to print/download a copy of your receipt.
  • For any questions, please contact 311.

To apply via email, mail, or fax:

** If you are mailing your form, don't forget to date it before you send your request to the FOIP Coordinator with any applicable fees. **

Submit your completed form by:
E-mail attachment to
By fax to 403-476-4102
By mail to
FOIP Coordinator
The City of Calgary #8007F
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2M5

Alternate ways to request information

If you are unable to complete the  form and need to do it another way you can also send us an access to information request in letter form. Just make sure you state that you are asking for information under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and submit using the mailing address above.

If you are not able to submit your access to information requests via online form, email, mail or fax, please call Access and Privacy Section at 403-268-5861 extension 2.

Please note: The City Clerk's Access and Privacy section is the only office authorized to receive FOIP access requests to The City. Requests sent to other offices will be processed once received by the Access and Privacy section.

Please note: The City Clerk's Access and Privacy section is the only office authorized to receive FOIP access requests to The City. Requests sent to other offices will be processed once received by the Access and Privacy section.


​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​