Council Committee Bid Corporation
Calgary 2026 bid corporation was established in June 2018 and worked to develop a bid for Calgary to host the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. The bid outlines the overall vision and concept for the Games, with a detailed cost estimate.
Calgary 2026 partners
- Government of Canada
- Government of Alberta
- Town of Canmore
- Canadian Olympic Committee
- Canadian Paralympic Committee
- Jeff Fielding, City Manager
- Manjit Minhas
- Chris Lee
The City established a working group to examine Calgary 2026’s bid exploration work, their Draft Hosting Plan Concept and proposed bid. This group provided advice to Council and the Assessment Committee on opportunities, costs, risks and benefits associated with bidding and possibly hosting the Games.
It also ensured Council and the Assessment Committee had the information they needed to make the decision whether or not Calgary should bid for the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
The Secretariat's review included examining:
- Align Council Directives, decisions, policies, programs, strategies, and plans
- Financial review including: review of proposed capital and operating budgets and potential financial implications
- Potential funding and cost sharing options
- Facility and infrastructure implications
- Potential legal implications
- Potential economic and social risks and benefits
- Proposed governance approach
- Risk analysis and potential risk management and mitigation strategies
See The City Secretariat Mandate for its roles and responsibilities.
The City Secretariat had an approved budget of $3.3 million for 2018.
The 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Assessment Committee
Calgary City Council created the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Assessment Committee to give guidance on The City’s exploration of whether to submit a 2026 Games bid. The committee was made up of:
- Councillor Evan Woolley, Chair
- Councillor Peter Demong, Vice-Chair
- Mayor Naheed Nenshi
- Councillor Diane Colley-Urquhart
- Councillor Druh Farrell
- Councillor Ray Jones
- Councillor Joe Magliocca
Assessment Committee information:
The Engagement Advisory Sub-Committee
City Council appointed four local, volunteer professionals to a sub-committee of the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games Assessment Committee.
The sub-committee worked to ensure The City’s engagement program provided citizens with balanced information and engagement opportunities. Engagement opportunities were put in place to understand local sentiment about a potential bid and hosting of the 2026 Games.
The sub-committee included:
- Loren Falkenberg, Chair
- Marichu Antonio
- Dani DeBoice
- David White
Calgary Bid Exploration Committee (CBEC)
The Calgary Bid Exploration Committee (CBEC) completed its work between June 2016 and July 2017. This team worked to determine whether hosting the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games is a good investment for the City of Calgary. CBEC’s final report is available to review.