Information | Rezoning for Housing

Public hearing on April 22, 2024. Proposed rezoning will support more housing options in all communities.

Learn more

Bylaws related to dogs | Bylaw FAQs by topic

The following is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about dogs and the answers to the FAQ about dogs.

Does Animal & Bylaw Services have dogs available for adoption?

Yes! Animal & Bylaw Services has dogs available for adoption.

If you are interested in adopting a dog please view our list of adoptable dogs that are currently available for adoption, then take a look at the impounded dogs to see other pets that might become adoptable in the next few days. Adoptable animals are updated every 15 minutes so check back frequently to see what new dogs become available. You can also download our free mobile application called City of Calgary Pets to view available pets on your mobile phone. For more information on how to download City of Calgary Pets visit

What happens when a Peace Officer picks up a dog?

The City of Calgary is concerned with the safety of the public and animals, therefore Peace Officers will impound dogs running at large (off their owners property). If the dog is wearing his licence tag or has some other form of identification, the officer will attempt to drive the dog directly home. The officer will not be able to drive the dog directly home if the owner information on our system is not up-to-date Likewise, the officer will be unable to return the dog if there is no one home at the time, or if there is no one over 18-years-old at home to accept the dog.

If the officer is unable to drive the dog home, he will be taken to the Animal Services Centre. Once the dog is brought back to the Animal Services Centre he is checked again for identification, examined for obvious health problems and placed in the kennels by our Animal Health Technologists. If the dog has identification, the dog is held for ten days, while every effort is made to contact the owner. After this hold period, the dog will undergo a behavioural assessment and may be available for adoption by the public.

What should I do if my dog becomes lost?

Immediately check around your home and neighbourhood. Ask family, friends and neighbours if they have seen your dog. If you don't find your dog after this initial search, the following actions are vital in helping to locate your missing pet:

  • Call 3-1-1 and file a lost pet report. Be prepared to give a description of your dog, including their licence number and tattoo or microchip information.
  • Check if your lost dog has been brought into the Animal Services Centre by frequently checking the listings of impounded dogs and adoptable dogs on our website. The website is updated every 15 minutes during regular business hours, so check frequently.
  • Download the free City of Calgary Pets mobile application so you can check via your mobile device if your dog is showing up on our impounded or adoptable lists.
  • Visit the Animal Services Centre at 2201 Portland Street S.E. to see if your lost dog is in our facility. It's easier to identify your pet in person than by looking at photos. We are open 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. We are closed on statutory holidays.
  • Contact the Calgary Humane Society to see if they have picked up your pet. Call 403-205-4455 or visit their facility at 4455 - 110 Ave S.E. or check their website at
  • Contact neighbours, service providers and local vet clinics to ask if they have seen your pet. People often bring stray pets to their vet so make sure the vets in your area know what pet you are looking for and how to reach you.
  • Place a "Lost Pet" ad on Shaw Cable TV's website​ and in local newspapers.

Never give up hope. Your pet may come back to you today or even in a few weeks. Pets have been known to return to their families after weeks of being gone.

I found a lost dog. What should I do?

It is important to turn in lost dogs to the appropriate place as soon as possible.

  • Dogs found within the Calgary city limits, with or without ID, should be taken to the Animal Services Centre (2201 Portland Street S.E.) or, if after hours, the closest veterinary clinic.
  • Dogs found outside the Calgary city limits should be taken to the Calgary Humane Society.

Veterinary clinics are not able to accept the animals that should go to the Calgary Humane Society. However, they can scan these animals for a microchip.

What should I do if the lost dog has been injured?

Lost dogs found within the city limits that have been injured, with or without ID, should be taken directly to a veterinary clinic. If transportation is an issue and you are not able to deliver the injured stray to a clinic, please contact 311 and Animal Services will pick the animal up and transport it to the closest available veterinary clinic.

I found a dog with a licence tag. Can you give me the name and address of the owner so I can return the dog myself?

Because the information is confidential, we cannot release the owner's name and address.

I cannot keep my dog any longer. Can I surrender the dog at the Animal Services Centre?

No, Animal & Bylaw Services does not accept surrendered animals. Calgarians who feel they must surrender their dog can do so at the Calgary Humane Society.​​​​