Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Helping lost pets find home Pet licences and responsible pet ownership

Calgary pet licences are your lost cat or dog’s ticket home. Licences give us the information we need to return your pets safely.

Licensing fees pay for all sorts of animal welfare programs in our city. Thanks to pet licensing, Calgary has the highest return-to-owner and lowest euthanization rates in North America. 

News and updates

Calgarians considering pet ownership are encouraged to adopt or foster

Animal welfare organizations are still looking to Calgarians for support in easing system pressure and shelter capacity. Calgary Humane Society (CHS) remains at capacity level and Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society (AARCS) is facilitating dog adoptions once again, following a shelter distemper outbreak.

The City of Calgary and partnering organizations are asking Calgarians to help the local pet population by considering a number of actions for timely pet reunions, avoiding shelters, and adopting/fostering.

Visit the Calgary Newsroom for more information

Pigeon Licensing

June 2, 2022

Pigeon keeping is a long-established hobby in Calgary. The City of Calgary provides regulation and licensing for keeping urban pigeons under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

Apply for an urban pigeon licence now

Urban beekeeping and licensing

May 19, 2022

Calgarians and businesses who keep bees in Calgary are now required to license their colonies under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw. The City of Calgary bee licensing program has been created based on what has been working, expert perspectives, and what licensing should regulate to protect and support the health of bees, keepers and neighbours.

The City of Calgary wants to ensure that beekeeping continues to be a safe pastime and the regulations will ensure that new beekeepers are properly trained, and adhere to commonly accepted beekeeping practices that reduce and prevent potential community issues or concerns.

Apply for an urban bee-keeping licence now

Licences support pet programs

Your licence fees go towards care for adoptable pets, health and education programs – and lost pet family reunions.

First ride is on us

Through the Pet Drive Home Program, peace officers are able to return lost pets directly to their owner’s home when found.

Licence fees

Cats and dogs three months or older are required to have a City of Calgary licence. Learn more about the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw.

Fee description 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026
Male or Female Unaltered Dogs $68 $69 $70 $70 $71
Neutered Male or Spayed Female Dogs $43 $43 $44 $44 $45
All Unaltered Dogs Under the Age of 6 Months at the Time the Licence is Purchased $43 $43 $44 $44 $45
Vicious Animal Licence Fee $300 $305 $310 $310 $315
Nuisance Animal Licence Fee $119 $121 $123 $123 $125
Male or Female Unaltered Cats $41 $42 $43 $43 $44
Neutered Male or Spayed Female Cats $20 $20 $21 $21 $22
All Unaltered Cats Under the Age of 6 Months at the Time the Licence is Purchased $20 $20 $21 $21 $22
Replacement Tag $5 $5 $5 $5 $6
Urban Livestock Licence – Bee Colonies $10 $10 $11 $11 $12
Urban Livestock Licence - Hens $69 $69 $70 $70 $72
Urban Livestock Licence - Pigeons $10 $10 $11 $11 $12
Livestock Emotional Support Animal Permit $69 $69 $70 $70 $72
Temporary Livestock Permit $69 $69 $70 $70 $72

Licensing your pet and more information

You can license your cat or dog online, in person or by phone.


Sign in to your myID account to purchase a pet licence. If you don't have a myID personal account you need to open an account to purhcase a licence online.


You can purchase a licence at:

Renew a licence at the Municipal building, City Cashiers at:

  • Municipal Building
    800 Macleod Trail S.E., Calgary

City Cashiers at the municipal building can provide a printed copy of your pet license invoice, renew licenses, and issue replacement tags – if you need to purchase a new license, visit us at:

By phone

Payment over phone: VISA, MasterCard or Amex

Pre-paid credit cards are accepted; ask 311 to transfer your call to Animal Services for help.​​

Can I transfer my licence?

If you sell or give away your pet, you must make an animal licence transfer. This documents the ownership change and lets the new owner licence the pet.

Transfer of ownership must be done in person at the Animal Services Centre.​

Please note that the licence cannot be transferred to the new owner. The existing licence would be cancelled and a new licence would be paid for by the new owner of the dog or cat.

The transfer document is on your licence certificate. If you do not have this document please call 311 and ask to speak to Animal Services and the transfer form can be mailed or emailed.

Fines for false declarations on licence form

​Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, you do not have to give a copy of a spay/neuter certificate to qualify for a reduced licence fee.

If you make a false declaration about the licensing of an animal you may be fined $500.00.

When does my pet have to wear their licence?

  • Your dog must have licence tags on when off your property. This applies even if they have a tattoo or microchip.
  • Your cat must have licence tags on if: 
    • they don’t have a tattoo or microchip.
    • if tattoos aren’t legible.

Licensing a new pet or changing your pet’s status from unaltered to spayed or neutered?

Under the updated Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, proof of spay or neuter is required to qualify for the reduced licence rate. After signing up for your license, please email your proof of spay or neuter to Animal Services at no later than seven days from payment to complete your licence registration.

Forms of proof include:

  • Spay/neuter certificate (from veterinary clinic)
  • Veterinary receipt (stating surgery was performed, including the pet and owner information)
  • Veterinary letter (confirming the pet cannot reproduce)
  • Adoption contract (that includes surgery statement)
  • In-person commissioner froes (in-person Animal Services staff statutory confirmation) *does not apply to licence renewals, only new licences
  • In-person commissioner (statutory declaration by Animal Services staff) *does not apply to licence renewals, only new licences

If proof of spay or neuter is not received after seven days of receipt of payment, you will be contacted to pay the difference for the full license rate.

If you do not have proof of spay or neuter for your new pet, you may attend the Animal Services Centre in person to sign a statutory declaration.

Cancel a license for a deceased pet

Please remember to cancel a pet licence for a pet that has died. Use your myID account to cancel a licence online or call 311.

Help us reunite impounded pets with their owners in our Animal Services Facebook Group.

Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw

The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw helps us work with you to ensure that cats and dogs live in safety and harmony with their owners and neighbours.

We advocate responsible pet ownership through five principles:

  1. Licence and provide permanent identification for cats and dogs.
  2. Spay or neuter pets.
  3. Provide training, physical care, socialization and medical attention for pets.
  4. Do not allow pets to become a threat or nuisance in the community.
  5. ​Procure your pet ethically, from a credible source.