Eau Claire Area Improvements construction and detours
Construction update - November 2023
Eau Claire Plaza detour
The Eau Claire Plaza site remains closed for construction until 2025. Please use the pathway connections at 2 Street S.W. or 5 Street S.W. to access the Eau Claire Promenade and Bow River Pathway.
Downtown Flood Barrier Eau Claire Promenade Fully Open
The final sections of the Eau Claire Promenade are complete. This means that the delineated walking and wheeling pathways from Jaipur Bridge to Centre Street are now open.
On behalf of the Eau Claire Area Improvements team, a special thank you to the community for their support and patience over the past three years of construction.
Getting around Eau Claire
The City of Calgary is looking at the transportation network in and around Eau Claire to understand where people need to go and how we can make it easier, safer, and more accessible for everyone, whether you travel by foot, bike, bus or car.
Eau Claire is already a very walkable neighbourhood, with good connections to top destinations like the shops and restaurants. RiverWalk and its pathway network make it easy to connect to neighbouring communities like East Village, Chinatown, Downtown West, Sunnyside, and Beltline.
The detour map shows recommended detours for walking and wheeling in Eau Claire to maintain comfort, access and predictability.
To maintain safe access to the pathways and cycle network within the city, detours will connect people walking and wheeling along the Bow River Pathway from the West Eau Claire area to RiverWalk in Chinatown and East Village, and the downtown cycle track. Signage will be posted through the construction area; please follow the signs.
Access to the businesses and residents along Riverfront Avenue is vital to the community. The driving lanes, loading zones and signage will be adjusted to accommodate a multi-use pathway. This detour allows safer access and travel for people walking and wheeling along Riverfront Avenue.
Managing the construction zone
At The City of Calgary, we pride ourselves on building a great place to live and a great place to make a life. We know that construction can be disruptive and can feel counter to those goals. Our project managers and contractors have extensive experience in this area. They use lessons learned from previous projects to find new, alternative, and better ways to mitigate the direct impact on Calgarians.
The safety and wellbeing of staff, contractors and the community is an utmost priority for The City.
What to expect
The construction work hours for the Eau Claire Area Improvements Program are Monday to Saturday from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- An increase in on-site construction activity, including construction crews, vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Pathway and sidewalk closures and detours along the Bow River Pathway Network and surrounding areas ensure pedestrians and cyclists can travel safely through the area and still access their destinations.
- To complete the sidewalk and concrete work in the Plaza and Promenade, crew will be in the area doing sand blasting. We do our best to mitigate and control the dust produced but encourage area residents and businesses to close windows and doors to reduce potential exposure to dust.
- An increase in truck and equipment traffic accessing the construction site(s) and surrounding areas.
- Material removal and delivery, as well as on-site flaggers to help direct traffic and pathway users.