Building Safety plan and budget
Our service is responsible for building safety in Calgary. We support customers and Calgarians during the building permit process, from issuing the building permit to performing site safety inspections to ensure buildings meet provincial safety code requirements. Our service creates programs and strategies focused on keeping buildings safe. We work with industry and partner agencies (provincial and regulatory) to enable development by identifying, educating and promoting safety best practices with the goal of preventing public safety incidents. We identify required changes to codes to support climate policy, affordable housing, and safety and work on a provincial and national level to update safety codes.
- Business owners
- Land developers
- Trade professionals and supporting professionals
- Property owners and renters
- Partnering construction industry associations
- Calgary Fire
- Community Planning
- Community Services
- Water Resources
- First responders
- Alberta Health Services
Value to Calgarians
- Alberta's building safety codes are met
- staff assist customers to support project success
- partnerships develop best practices
- provide urgent response services
- administer bylaw and safety requirements
What we deliver
- Deliver permits and inspections to ensure safe buildings.
- Provide assurance that new construction projects meet Alberta's building safety codes.
- Address inquiries by Calgarians regarding construction sites.
- Respond to urgent public safety calls.
2023-2026 budget ($millions)
Expected 2026 performance.
Building permit applications where issuance timeline commitments were met
2021 was 57%
Inspection booking dates with appointments available within the next two business days
New measure, no historical data
Issued permits for new buildings with five or more storeys with an approved Public Protection Site Safety Plan
2021 was 35%
New low-density dwellings with energy labelling
New measure, no historical data
Average customer satisfaction survey result
2021 was 94%
What we've heard
Safety is ranked first by survey respondents as the highest priority for this service, followed by responsiveness.
Customers want fast, simple, and valuable service that results in a safe building. They value knowledge, expertise, guidance and certainty to ensure their project’s timelines will be realized. Timely responses, sequencing or aligning of inspections, and immediate response to safety situations are expected. Our customers have high expectations of our service and that it will be delivered in an equitable and inclusive manner. They look to us to seek out efficiencies and cost reductions without lowering service levels.
Operating in a global economy means ensuring Calgary is a business and investment-friendly community valuing diversity across all aspects of our service offerings and delivery. By doing so we will attract and retain a workforce Calgarians expect and continue to tell us is important.Participate and view results of City research
What we're watching
- Economic trends can significantly impact construction activity resulting in unexpected changes to permit volumes and fee revenues which can strain staff resources and service levels.
- This service continually monitors and tracks economic indicators to minimize impacts on service.
- Safety and energy codes are updated periodically, and just before this happens, permit volumes increase, which may impact service levels.
- The service will continue to expand online services to better meet client expectations.
- The digital shift will see us consider new and transformative ways to better deliver our service efficiently and effectively.
- Reducing our service impact on the environment by using electric vehicles and reducing staff commutes is planned.
- When severe weather happens, existing resources are diverted for Emergency Management purposes impacting business continuity.
What we plan to do
We are focused on ensuring building safety by providing excellent customer service and timely service delivery through permit intake, approvals, inspections, and response to urgent safety requests. We are committed to following all Council direction and will play a key role in Downtown revitalization and the implementation of the Climate Strategy.
How we're going to get there
- Reduce building permit approval timelines by applying capacity, risk, and performance management.
- Protect the public during construction through the revision of the Public Protection Site Safety Plan and monitoring of key safety indicators.
- Increase the supply of safe and affordable housing options by improving the regulatory environment for secondary suites.
- Provide time-saving, easy and convenient options through investment in customer self-serve capabilities.
- Manage inspections by providing industry leadership in risk management techniques that follow the Alberta Safety Codes Council's directive.