Seniors Services Home Maintenance
In order to help stop the spread of COVID-19, The City of Calgary has temporarily suspended all Seniors Services Home Maintenance housekeeping services. This program change will affect current Seniors Services Home Maintenance housekeeping clients, as well new applicants interested in housekeeping services as the program will not be accepting any new clients during this temporary suspension. Snow removal services will be unaffected by these changes and will continue to be provided.
Seniors Services Home Maintenance helps low income seniors to live safely and securely in their own homes. This program, along with designated community partners, provides these seniors with basic yard care, snow removal and house cleaning.
This program is funded by the City of Calgary.
Who is eligible
Seniors (65+) who are eligible for Alberta Seniors Benefit, Special Needs Assistance and:
- Are unable to do basic house or yard work
- Do not own other property
- Have no person living in the home who could perform basic housecleaning, yard work or snow shovelling
- Are without family, community or other home maintenance service supports
- Have applied to Fair Entry to qualify for this and several other City subsidized programs and services. Find out if you qualify and apply online at Fair Entry
Older adults who meet the eligibility criteria are placed on a wait list for service. An assessment of need based on the considerations noted below, determines priority for service as high, moderate or low. In most cases, those with high and moderate needs will be served first, and those with low needs referred to other support services where available. To meet operational needs, service may be provided based on proximity to current clients or geographic zone availability, regardless of priority rating.
Service Priority Needs Assessment Considerations
- age and age related frailty
- physical health conditions
- level of family, friends or community support
- mobility challenges (wheelchair, walker, cane, oxygen tank)
- complex/ multiple concerns or needs.
Generally there is a waiting period for all services, which may vary according to service type and client location.
How to access home maintenance services
- Call 311 or apply for Seniors Services Home Maintenance online through the Fair Entry program
- No referral necessary
- House cleaning, yard work and snow removal services: Service cost recovery for clients eligible for Alberta Seniors Benefit, Special Needs Assistance is processed via direct billing to the Government of Alberta on the client’s behalf.
- House cleaning clients must provide cleaning products and equipment
- Yard work clients must provide garbage bags if needed