Bridgeland Main Street Construction – Phase 1
The Bridgeland Main Streets project has been divided into two phases:
- Phase 1 includes the Gateway at Memorial Drive & Edmonton Trail N.E. and streetscape improvements along Edmonton Trail N.E. This work also includes potential utility relocations on 1 Avenue N.E. from Edmonton Trail to 6a Street N.E. The utility relocation work will enable the future construction of Phase 2.
- Phase 2 includes streetscape and bikeway improvements along 1 Avenue and 2 Avenue N.E. The project team is finalizing the design of Phase 2, however construction is currently unfunded.
- For more information visit our engage page.
Construction for Bridgeland Main Street Phase 1 is anticipated to begin Q2 2022. Please check back for updates.
What to expect for 2022
Phase 1 – Edmonton Trail N.E.
Phase 1 includes streetscape improvements and infrastructure upgrades along Edmonton Tr from Memorial Drive to 2 Avenue N.E. as well as Gateway features on at Memorial Drive beneath the 4 Ave flyover and at the triangle where 4 Street meets Edmonton Trail.
At the Memorial Drive Gateway there will be:
- Reduction of parking stalls on City property
- Re-configured Memorial Drive access to the parking lot for safety
- Southern 4 Street access changed to an “in only”
- Maintained in/out access off of Edmonton Trail
- Larger pedestrian space and improved pedestrian connections
- New bioretention area– a vegetated area to capture and treat stormwater
- Improved lighting for people walking
Along Edmonton Trail N.E. there will be:
- Widened sidewalks
- More plants and trees
- New streetlighting along the road and sidewalks
- New crosswalks with wheelchair ramps complete with tactile plates to help those with vision loss at intersections
- New waste & recycling bins, bike racks and benches
- Southbound 4 Street between 3 and 2 Avenue N.E. will be reduced from three to two lanes
- Separated wheeling lane will extend to 4 Street N.E. and connect to the 2 Avenue on-street bike lane
- Extensive planting and creation of a small pocket park space within the triangle at 4 Street, with better crossing at 2 Avenue N.E.
What you can expect during construction
When construction is underway, here's what you can expect:
- An increase in on-site construction activity, including construction crews, vehicles and heavy equipment, including an increase in noise and vibration throughout construction.
- Sidewalk closures and detours to ensure pedestrians and cyclists can travel safely through the area and still access their destinations.
- The temporary removal of some parking, road closures and potential road detours. Traffic will be maintained during construction, except for occasional closures with a detour.
- Potential construction activity on weekends, weekdays, and overnight as required.
- We will work directly with individual businesses to provide continued access to their property as much as possible.
Please note, construction in an older community like this means that sometimes we run into surprises during construction. We don't anticipate any issues, but the timeline could be impacted should we discover any surprises.
We appreciate your patience when crews are working in the area. We know that construction impacts can be disruptive, and we will work to mitigate impacts as best that we can.
Do you have a specific question about the Bridgeland Main Street Construction project? You can send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for our email updates to receive ongoing updates about the Bridgeland Street Main Street construction project.