2007 Annexation Residential Transitional Tax Relief Support
In 2022, transitional tax relief support was offered to property owners who were impacted by the expiry of tax clauses in Annexation Order 333/2007. Although the Annexation allowed for an extended timeframe for the tax rate change, City Council deemed that the tax increase in 2022 may represent a significant cost increase for some taxpayers. To assist with the transition to The City of Calgary tax rates, The City cancelled 75% of the municipal tax differential between The City of Calgary and Rocky View County for the residential portion of eligible properties in 2022.
As property tax cancellations may only be approved by Council in the year they apply, in accordance with legislation, Council was unable to decide transitional tax relief last year for 2023 and 2024. Instead, Council noted they would also consider possible tax relief in 2023 and 2024; specifically, 50% of the municipal tax differential for 2023 and 25% of the municipal tax differential for 2024 for the residential portion of eligible properties.
In 2022, tax relief was provided by cancelling 75% of the municipal tax differential between the City of Calgary and Rocky View County on the residential portion of eligible properties based on the criteria outlined below.
On May 9, 2023, City Council reviewed transitional tax relief for residential properties annexed by Annexation Order 333/2007, and no decision was made to cancel any portion of tax for 2023. Accordingly, property owners’ 2023 property tax bill will not reflect tax cancellation for any portion of the tax.
In 2024, Council will again consider potential tax relief and we will provide an update regarding potential tax relief, if any, at the appropriate time in 2024
2022 Program Highlights
The 2022 Residential Tax Relief Transitional Support Framework was applied to properties that meet the qualifying criteria before the tax bills were mailed at the end of May 2022. No application was required.
- Properties that meet the qualifying criteria received a credit statement with their 2022 property tax bill showing the dollar value of the tax cancellation subtracted from the bill.
To qualify for this residential tax relief program:
- The property did not trigger clause 7(1) of the MGB Order as 079/07 and Order in Council 333/2007 and continued to be taxed using the municipal tax rate established by Rocky View County up to and including the 2021 taxation year;
- The property contains a dwelling unit defined as a structure that contains two or more rooms used or designed to be used as a residence by one or more persons, a kitchen, living, sleeping and sanitary facilities as defined in the Land Use Bylaw 1P2007;
- The property has not been connected to City of Calgary water or sanitary sewer services; and
- The property is designated as the S-FUD (Special purpose – Future Urban Development) land use district.
- Properties Annexed in 2007
- Join TIPP. Visit Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP)
- Need help with your taxes. Visit Alberta Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program:
Fair Entry - Property Tax Assistance Program
Or contact 311 (403-268-2489 if calling from outside Calgary)