How to renew your taxi driver’s licence
When can I renew?
A licence can be renewed in the month before the expiry date and 30 days after expiry. For example, if the expiry date is April 28, the first day of renewal is March 1 and last day is May 28. However, if your licence is expired you may not drive a taxi or limousine during this period. It is an offence to drive a taxi and/or limousine with an expired taxi driver’s licence.
If a taxi driver’s licence is not renewed within 30 days of its expiry date, the licence is deemed abandoned and the licence file is closed.
Licence renewal requirements
To renew your taxi driver’s licence, you must attend the Vehicle for Hire office. To complete the renewal you will need the following:
- A valid class 1, 2 or 4 Alberta driver’s licence (with current address)
- One other piece of Government ID
- A Calgary Police Service Information Check
Once all requirements are met, a new photograph may be taken and a new taxi driver’s licence will be issued.
Valid forms of other of Government ID:
- Alberta health care card
- Canadian birth certificate
- Canadian citizenship card or certificate
- Canadian permanent resident card
- Current work permit
- Firearms Licence
- Refugee Protection Claimant Document – Certified
- Nexus Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (Federally issued)
- Aviation Document Booklet
- Marriage Certificate
Original documents are required with matching names and spellings. Photocopies of documents are not accepted. If applicable, name change documentation must also be provided.
- Licence renewal fee: $135
- Calgary Police Service Information Check: $55
- Replacement ID badge (lost, damaged, stolen): $50
Non-refundable payments are required for police check and licence.