Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 3 outdoor water restrictions are in effect. Learn more about how City services are impacted and what you can do during this stage.

Learn more

We govern the use of streets  in order to maintain traffic flow and ensure safety of Calgarians. Below, you can find a summary of the bylaws related to our streets.

Recreation bylaws

  • Skateboards or in-line skates are permitted on most City sidewalks or boulevards unless otherwise posted.
  • Children younger than 14-years-old may ride bicycles on the sidewalk.
  • In cases where a wheeled vehicle is permitted to be ridden on a City sidewalk or boulevard, it must be done in a safe manner that does not interfere with pedestrians.

Obstruction bylaws

  • Keep hedges, trees and shrubs on your property trimmed so they don't interfere with pedestrians or vehicles.
  • Any structure within 7.5 metres of an intersection can be no more than 75 cm high*.
  • Do not place electrical cords, hoses or chains over a sidewalk.
  • Do not place any material in lanes, streets, sidewalks or City right-of-ways.

Vehicle bylaws

  • Vehicles parked on driveways may not block sidewalks or boulevards refer to the Traffic Bylaw.
  • Any vehicle noise measured at 96 decibels or more by a sound pressure level meter is “objectionable noise” and is in contravention of the bylaw. Noise regulations for vehicles can be found in the Traffic Bylaw 26M96.
  • Do not leave unregistered, uninsured vehicles on City streets or lanes.*
  • A vehicle must be operable and moved within 72, hours or it may be considered abandoned and removed as such.*

*This regulation is a part of Alberta's Traffic Safety Act and is enforced by the Calgary Parking.

Filing a complaint

If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary) or use the 311 app or:

To help us respond faster, please be ready with the following information:

  • Your name and address
  • A primary and alternate phone number
  • The address and exact location of the property for which you wish to register a complaint
  • A brief and concise description of the complaint

This information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted - you must identify yourself with the 311 service representative.

Please include any related photos when reporting a complaint with the 311 app. This will assist the investigating officer.

Learn more about filing a bylaw complaint and the process.

Related topics

You may be interested in