Council has identified five Citizen Priorities in The City’s One Calgary Service Plans and Budgets based on citizen input. Each priority includes what The City aims to achieve over the next four years. Service-based adjustments are made each year based on citizen input and other factors such as economic and financial forecasts and population and inflation levels.
Plans & budgets
Every four years, we deliver plans and budgets based on Council's direction and citizen input. These service plans and budgets provide a roadmap for Calgary every four years, so we stay focused on delivering service value to Calgarians in a financially responsible way.
Your property tax bill is based on the budgetary needs of The City (municipal tax) and The Province (provincial tax) multiplied by the portion allocated to you. The value of your property determines your portion. The assessment notices we mail in January informs you of your property's assessed value.
Approximately 65 percent of residential property tax goes to City services, while the remaining 35 percent goes to the Province. Property taxes make up about half of The City's operating budget. Property tax bills are mailed each May and can be paid monthly or as a lump payment by June 30.
How we deliver value through City services and programs
- City services and programs funded by your property tax dollars.
- Where your property tax dollars are invested in City services and programs.
- Modernizing government and reducing City costs to maximize value.
- Comparing Calgary against other Canadian municipalities.
- Annual Report and Accountability Report ensures effective governance and transparency.
Financial factsWe're answering your questions and addressing misconceptions about our City finances and services as part of our commitment to remain an open, transparent and accountable local government.
- How your property taxes are calculated
- Learn how we fairly and equitably assess your Residential & Non-residential property.
- Use our Tax Calculator to get the details behind your City and Provincial tax bill.
- Join The City’s Tax Instalment Payment Program to help manage expenses.
Essential City facts