Ready Squad is a youth focused emergency preparedness program. It teaches kids about which emergencies occur in Calgary and how to prepare for them. This type of training empowers kids to be more resilient and knowledgeable about what to do during an emergency or disaster.
Join the Squad! Take the online training
The Ready Squad e-course is for kids aged 7 - 12. It's a fun and interactive way to teach kids how to prepare and withstand an emergency or disaster.
- Cost: Free
- Course duration approximately 20 minutes
- Compatible with desktop, smartphone, and tablet
- Successful participants will be able to print off a certificate
These resources can be used in the classroom as part of the program or at home.
- The Calgary Emergency Management Agency and the Calgary Fire Department have information on personal and family preparedness, hazards and risks in Calgary, fire safety, information on business continuity, and preparation for those with special needs. Plain Language resources are also available online or by calling 311.
- Environment and Climate Change Canada is home to the Sky Watchers Program, an educational initiative that provides free teaching material on the subject of weather, including information, explanations, lesson plans, experiments, activities, and more. Additional information about weather and weather alerts can be found at https://weather.gc.ca/canada_e.html.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in the United States has interactive tools available online for educators, parents and kids. Become a “Disaster Master” through online games and activities.
COVID-19 resources for families and children
- 211 Alberta: Mental health and other supports for Calgarians
- Alberta Health Services – Healthy Together: Guide to home and family life during COVID-19
- Government of Alberta – COVID-19 Information for Albertans: Information sheet on how COVID-19 affects children
- City of Calgary – COVID-19 – athome activities: Information and activities for children at home
- Public Health Agency of Canada: COVID-19 Resources for parents and children
- Centre for Disease Control and Prevention: COVID-19 Resources for parents and children
Questions for the Ready Squad?
Social supports for families
Squad Action resources
Use the documents below to complete the Squad Actions found throughout the course. These documents can also be used by teachers to help with their lesson plans.