Self defense classes
Benefits of learning self-defense
- Increase confidence to feel safer in your daily activities
- Develop skills and strategies to recognize and avoid unsafe situations
- Practice the skills required to defend one’s self
- Get instructor help with specific situations that may cause you concern
- Physical and mental health
Types of self-defense classes
You can register online, in person at our Recreation facilities, or by calling
Fall registration is now open.
Self-Defense and Awareness Workshop – Youth & Adult
This workshop is a combination of lecture and hands-on practice that will focus on situational awareness and practical tactics that can help you get out of unfortunate situations. Open to all levels of fitness, experience and genders.
Age: 13+ years
About our self-defense instructors
- Certification and/or advanced training in Self Defense
- Previous leadership and instructional expertise
- Ability to teach all levels and ages
- Standard first-aid, CPR, AED, police checks
- Instructors may teach skills from various martial arts and how to apply them
What are classes like?
Our workshops are open to all levels of fitness, experience and genders - ages 13+ years. Previous martial arts experience is not required.
Workshops run 2 - 3 hours. They include a lecture component, hands-on skills, practical tactics and situational awareness training. Instructors will adapt the class to focus on the areas of concern that participants have.
- Bring a water bottle
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Bring clean, indoor athletic shoes that have not been worn outdoors
- *Bring a note pad. (Optional)