Benefits of learning Karate
- Strengthens the mind and body
- Improves balance, coordination and reflexes
- Builds stamina and overall health
- Improves self-esteem and confidence
- Learn how to defend yourself
Winter registration dates
You can now register for winter programs, classes and day camps.
Registration will open:
- 6 a.m. — Online (virtual waiting room opens at 5:30 a.m.)
- 8:30 a.m. — By calling the Customer Service Centre at 403-268-3800 (option 1).
- During business hours — At any City-operated Aquatic & Recreation or Arts facility.
Types of Karate classes
You can register online, in person at our Recreation facilities, or by calling
About our Karate instructors
- Certification and/or advanced training in Karate
- Previous leadership and instructional expertise
- Strong ability to teach all levels and ages
- Instructors are or were competitive practicing athletes in this sport
- Black belt/highly trained
- Standard first-aid, CPR, AED, police checks
What are classes like?
Our classes are open to all levels of skill and fitness. Previous martial arts experience is not required.
Introductory classes teach the basics of punches and kicks. They combine practicing technique with overall fitness. Continuing classes expand on the basics and allow participants to learn how to make each technique work best for their body. Classes may include some partner work.
- Bring a water bottle
- Wear comfortable clothing. Uniform is not required
- No shoes required, Karate can be practiced barefoot
- If you prefer shoes, bring clean, indoor athletic shoes that have not been worn outdoors