Municipal property tax dollars make up about 50% of The City's annual operating budget. The other half is collected through user fees, permits and licencing, grants to name a few.
Your property tax dollars enable us to deliver the City services Calgarians rely on, such as, Fire, Police and Transit.
As part of The City’s 2023-2026 service plans and budgets Calgarian input was collected and used to make additional investments in the services that matter most to you.
We’ve been recognized as one of the most livable cities in the world (The Economist in 2022) with the second lowest cost of living of any major city in Canada. Learn more about our finances, property assessment and tax and service we deliver below.
Where do your residential property tax dollars go?
Learn more about the City services partially or fully funded by property tax.
Municipal property tax and fees are a small portion of the total taxes Calgarians pay each order of government. Since 2007, the estimated taxes and fees Calgarians paid to The City (municipality) was 11%, while the remaining 89% of taxes and fees were generally split between the Provincial and Federal governments. Source – Statistics Canada Table 36-10-0450-01
Learn about our Finances
Curious about how we determine, support, and deliver City services using your property tax dollars?
Want to know about the key factors (and the timeline) that work together to determine your annual property tax bill?
We’re committed to reducing costs, growing revenues, and avoiding financial shortfalls that can result in savings for Calgarians. Learn more about how Council can use these savings to further support Calgarians.
How does a change in your property’s assessed value (mailed in January) impact your tax bill?
Get an estimate, and complete breakdown of your tax bill before it arrives in May. Learn how your money is invested in City service.
How does The City manage its City finances to keep Calgary affordable? Learn how our tax-supported operating expenditures remains near or below population and inflation growth.
Do you pay your property tax monthly? Learn how the TIPP instalment changes in December and July ensure you pay no more or less than your annual tax bill.
Calgary’s municipal property tax and utility rates remain one of the lowest in Canada. See how Calgary’s municipal and provincial taxes compare to other cities.